DAOS student form

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Qeb2019

Re: DAOS student form

Post by Qeb2019 »

My daughter wants to do economics in LSE that is why she needs to do it. HBS offers her conditional today with further maths, but it will be 2h public transport. The nearest school for her is Latymer but she has to pass the test first and if there is place for further maths.

We did not know that she has applied for HBS until today so don’t know any thing about school. Can some one tell me about sixth form please. Is that true that kids has to do 5 a level if they do further maths. TIA.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Qeb2019 wrote:Can some one tell me about sixth form please.
I can't provide you with any detail but I can absolutely assure you that no school is worth 4 hours a day commuting.
mad?
aks

Post by aks »

I think she will do equally well in any local school.

As further maths seats are limited, its worth exploring all nearby schools including sixth forms like King's college London Maths, London academy of excellence, Woodhouse college etc.. if nearby

Typically further maths makes it 4, but not sure if this will make 5 in HBS where 4 A levels are by default.
nyr

Post by nyr »

HBS recommends starting with 4, even with Further Maths.

Besides the load on the student, there are timetabling issues to consider, making it difficult to accommodate all choices.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

nyr wrote:Further Maths. 2019 results for DAO and 2020 for the other 3.

Code: Select all

A*	 A	 B	C	Candidates
DAO	 8	13	11	3	35
HBS	16	12	 4	0	32
Lat	19	12	 2	1	34
QE 	25	 7	 1	0	33
To be fair, I'm not sure about comparing 2019 results for one school with 2020 results for others. Which way did HBS, Latymer and QE go last year, compared with 2019?

- Gosh, look at this! Despite all the trials of this year, our students have somehow pulled off the most amazing crop of grades ever! - ?
- Despite the tribulations of the latter half of the school year, our students have managed to do just as well as last year's year 13 - ?
- Parents should be assured that we are making the strongest representations to Ofqual about the fact.that we tried to second-guess what *The Algorithm* would do to our predicted grades and therefore we marked some students down below what we thought they should achieve. - ?

How do the results of those three actually compare to their results for the 2019 cohort?

There is a reason why the 2020 GCSE and A level results are not to be included in official comparisons of schools.

How do the requirements for taking A level Maths and FM compare?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
nyr

Post by nyr »

We're risking completely derailing this thread but, since the query was answered on the first page, here goes.

Code: Select all

A*	A	B	C	D	Candidates
HBS	11	9	3	1	1	25
QE 	22	6	1	0	0	29
I couldn't find results for all 4 schools for 2019 or 2020 and I agree that the comparison seems unfair, that's why I was careful to point out the different years. It may be that Qeb2019 has access to the 2020 results for DAO. Failing that, above are the 2019 FM results for QE and HBS. With regards to general distrust of the results last year, the above shows that the percentages achieving the top grade were consistent across the two years for QE and HBS. This is what QE wrote last summer:

"Many are forecasting that the late policy change will result in huge grade inflation nationally, but here at QE there is a strong correlation between the School’s CAGs and the algorithm, both at GCSE and A-level. Very few of our A-level grades were changed, compared to approximately 40% of grades changed nationally last week, and, at GCSE, there is, in fact, a slight increase in the overall figures as a result of the application of the algorithm."

https://www.qebarnet.co.uk/terrific-at- ... rformance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With regards to entry requirements, we know that QE uses internal tests and doesn't take on new students. The other 3 schools take on new students. HBS requires a minimum 8 in maths. Latymer requires external candidates to pass an entrance exam while internal candidates have to get approval from the maths department, which presumably is based on performance in internal assessments. I'm sure Qeb2019 or DG can fill us in on the FM requirements for DAO.
Last edited by nyr on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kunalj

Post by kunalj »

Pretty impressive figure of FM performance at QE, considering it's same intake at 7th standard. If there were more seats, many may not leave QE. The performance at some schools get major boost with sixth form intake. Like CRGS Colchester, where new joiners in Sixth form from Singapore/ Hong Kong, very strong in Mathematics, make significant difference.
aks

Post by aks »

kunalj wrote:If there were more seats, many may not leave QE
..somewhat diluting infamous cull theory.

This performance in a way reflects in high LSE and Imperial acceptance (leaving Oxbridge fixation where Eton dropping to 48 hits headline), particularly LSE where one is competing against high number of International candidates with excellent profile and grades.
nyr

Post by nyr »

I don't think it's an issue of a limited number of places.

Like all other subjects, FM offers are based on performance in internal assessments. It's just that the thresholds are higher. When DS' cohort were receiving A level offers I know that many more boys, some of whom missed the mark and had to ask, were offered FM than actually took it up. It's clear that for some boys and families the FM offer is an end in itself.

It's true that some boys leave when they don't receive the A level offers they're after. I think it can be because there are long held expectations that they will pursue certain careers and, when the required A levels are not available, they look elsewhere. Also teenage boys, like the rest of us, can get fired up over what may be minor issues and sometimes they just leave for what they think are greener pastures. One of DS' friends left at the end of Y11 and joined a much lauded school, on this thread. He regretted it and tried to return after a few weeks. Sadly for him it was too late, as there is no mechanism of joining the sixth-form. In the end, it was all okay as he seems happy in the new environment.

BTW, as there is no new intake, the number of Y11 leavers for QE is very obvious, but I believe both Latymer and DAO let a similar number go. It's just that they make up for it, and a bit more, by taking on new students.
kunalj

Post by kunalj »

nyr wrote:I don't think it's an issue of a limited number of places.

Like all other subjects, FM offers are based on performance in internal assessments. It's just that the thresholds are higher. When DS' cohort were receiving A level offers I know that many more boys, some of whom missed the mark and had to ask, were offered FM than actually took it up. It's clear that for some boys and families the FM offer is an end in itself.

It's true that some boys leave when they don't receive the A level offers they're after. I think it can be because there are long held expectations that they will pursue certain careers and, when the required A levels are not available, they look elsewhere. Also teenage boys, like the rest of us, can get fired up over what may be minor issues and sometimes they just leave for what they think are greener pastures. One of DS' friends left at the end of Y11 and joined a much lauded school, on this thread. He regretted it and tried to return after a few weeks. Sadly for him it was too late, as there is no mechanism of joining the sixth-form. In the end, it was all okay as he seems happy in the new environment.

BTW, as there is no new intake, the number of Y11 leavers for QE is very obvious, but I believe both Latymer and DAO let a similar number go. It's just that they make up for it, and a bit more, by taking on new students.
Thanks for penning down the details. It's quite insightful and reassuring.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now