HBS Henrietta Barnett School 2022 exam prep and support

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Parent2022/23

Re: HBS Henrietta Barnett School 2022 exam prep and support

Post by Parent2022/23 »

Agreed, a smart child will do well at whatever school and if they are destined for oxbridge, the school they attend shouldn't really matter. We all know that a higher proportion of children from independent schools go to oxbridge compared with state school, but not sure about grammar schools vs independents.
Brampton Manor selects at sixth form and I bet it is more of those young adults that get in to oxbridge vs those that have got in from catchment and been there from year 7. For example, I know of a bright girl who lives in Ilford that was going to Chelmsofrd County but then moved to Brampton Manor for sixth form.

Very unfair about the ISEB Pre test situation. It's as if its an old school boy thing where the posh central London prep schools can do it at their school and over a couple of days or more and state school and most private prep school children have to go in and do the whole 2.5 hours in a morning or afternoon at another school. Does anyone know how these posh central London prep schools allow their children to do the pre test? Is it over 2 days (for example English and verbal one one day and maths and non verbal another day) or do they do it over 4 days?

Thanks for the info regarding scores of the 300th child for HBS. What is this approx in percentage terms or what is the 349.03 out of a maximum?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know of students whose school gave them 4 days to do it.

So the night before each subject they could focus on just that subject and then they had the next evening to focus on the next.

Very disappointing that private secondary schools using the ISEB do not mandate that all those who sit in prep schools have to do the 4 subjects one after the other so that there is a level playing field.

Thank goodness that when it comes to university entrance exams sanity prevails and all schools are required to carry out the exams under exactly the same conditions.

That is why the percentage of private schools students at the top universities continues to drop each year.

DG
no_stress

Post by no_stress »

I wonder why are there are so many posts about QE/Latymer/DAO on this thread and very little activity re HBS? Where are the 2,900 candidates? We haven't heard anything following the 1st round test, school says we'll hear by Sep 27th, which seems rather late.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We can have a chat about HBS!

Anyone applying for HBS needs to have started working towards the second round immediately they sat the first round, not waiting for results.

The second round is on 1st October, so just over two weeks to go.

Many girls will also be sitting the second round of DAO on September 26th, both exams use the same format which makes it easier to prepare for both.

We cannot discuss the exam itself as there are still late sitters but everything was very calm and organised.

The most interesting thing will be by how much the girls who secure a place from catchment will rise. It has risen every year since the catchment was introduced.

It will also be interesting to know the total amount of sitters this year. DG
Parent2022/23

Post by Parent2022/23 »

no_stress wrote:I wonder why are there are so many posts about QE/Latymer/DAO on this thread and very little activity re HBS? Where are the 2,900 candidates? We haven't heard anything following the 1st round test, school says we'll hear by Sep 27th, which seems rather late.

Hi no stress, I wouldn’t worry too much about the admin of when things come through re dates etc and concentrate on the exams themselves. I know it’s easier said than done; you just want to know if your daughter did well enough and is through - but schools do their thing in their own time, every year. Only the girls that have been preparing for round 2 for at least a year will have any chance of getting an offer. A lot of girls will have over prepared for round 1 and get through but will crumble in round 2 where they haven’t practiced enough comprehension written answers and creative writing. Those that prepare for grammar and independent school tests will be best prepared for HBS style testing.
Parent2022/23

Post by Parent2022/23 »

Daogroupie wrote:
The most interesting thing will be by how much the girls who secure a place from catchment will rise. It has risen every year since the catchment was introduced.

It will also be interesting to know the total amount of sitters this year. DG

DG, thanks for providing your wisdom, always.

For us new to HBS, could you please advise when the catchment was introduced and how many places have been taken within catchment for each year since? I suspect people have been moving in to the area for this reason. We are out of catchment but would not be prepared to do this, even if we are borderline and it would increase our chances of a place by offer day, 1st March.
Parent2022/23

Post by Parent2022/23 »

Could someone please advise on good mock centres used this year for the HBS first round.
Sorry we don't allow this on the forum. Thanks for your understanding.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Parent2022/23 wrote:Could someone please advise on good mock centres used this year for the HBS first round.
We chose on the basis of who offered mocks in the actual buildings of schools we were preparing for. We used 2 different companies and one didn't use the main hall, so do check the small print.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

no_stress wrote:I wonder why are there are so many posts about QE/Latymer/DAO on this thread and very little activity re HBS? Where are the 2,900 candidates? We haven't heard anything following the 1st round test, school says we'll hear by Sep 27th, which seems rather late.
How funny - I always think that there is very little Latymer activity. In general this forum is much much quieter than a few years ago. I think there are lots of small facebook groups. The couple I have seen didn't have the same collective body of knowledge as here.
Parent2022/23

Post by Parent2022/23 »

exam2019 wrote:
Parent2022/23 wrote:Could someone please advise on good mock centres used this year for the HBS first round.
We chose on the basis of who offered mocks in the actual buildings of schools we were preparing for. We used 2 different companies and one didn't use the main hall, so do check the small print.

Dear exam 2019,

Thank you for your reply. Could you private message me the name of the company that did do the HBS mock test at HBS school in the main hall? Would be much appreciated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now