DAO second round music ranking - when will it be notified?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Desperation

DAO second round music ranking - when will it be notified?

Post by Desperation »

I think all the second round auditions have been completed. Does anyone know when the music ranking will be communicated?
From memory is earlier than the final academic one, but not sure!
Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: DAO second round music ranking - when will it be notifie

Post by Daogroupie »

It will be at the same time as the academic which will be on or before the 26th October. DG
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Thanks, I’ll see. Long wait again.
TheMadness

Post by TheMadness »

Apologies if this has been answered else where on the thread (I have trawled and can’t find any information).

Can anyone share any data on which instruments/grade levels have been successful at winning a music place at DAO?

I understand the approach is different to Latymer, where grade certificates play a role in selecting candidates and in some cases waving them through without audition, and FOI requests have made this data available. Is there any such data for DAO? Or any anecdotal information?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Dd1 secured a music place at DAO a few years ago and interestingly application numbers have not really changed but the numbers going through to the second round really have. Far far higher now, so they have hiked the pass mark for the first round listening test from 47 to 50 this year to reduce the number of auditions which are very time consuming.

It is the individual DC rather than grades and instruments. Some DC have not even done grades. Grade Certificates are not the determiner of gaining a place, it is the performance on the day that matters. DC I know of this year who were offered a place were offering Violin, Drums, Sax, Flute. Last year, Bassoon, Oboe. Absolutely worth a try but can't be relied on at any level. We know children of professional musicians and music teachers who did not make it through the first round.

DG
TheMadness

Post by TheMadness »

That is very interesting regarding applicant numbers staying stable, but numbers getting through the first round creeping up. Would that be as a result of more coaching?

We also know of a Grade 8 distinction violinist, DD of a professional musician, who didn’t get through the first round. I also heard of a child who auditioned for SW Herts and got in on the bongoes- his musicality just shone through.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes musicality is very key. I think the rise in those passing the first round was a result of the stories of those strong candidates not pa ssing. Parents used to think the first round was just natural musical ability but have learnt the hard way that it is an exam that can be prepared for just like any other exam and so the numbers really started to rise. It is unfortunate that state schools cannot require their music candidates to actually do music once they arrive. I know of families with dcs who take places and then give up all music as soon as arriving and there is nothing a state school can do about this.
DG
TheMadness

Post by TheMadness »

Yes I think you are right- some familiarity with the test is bound to help, and the children of the musicians most probably took success at the test as a given.

What a crying shame if a music place is not properly used: there would be plenty of children for which it could be life-changing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now