Hbs second round results and discussion

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Hbs second round results and discussion

Post by Daogroupie »

This is not what happened.

They cannot offer places to candidates who did not apply and they do not actively advise candidates that their rank is too low. They let the facts of the rankings speak for themselves.

They contacted candidates with lower ranks and advised them that now the non catchment candidate had been removed that their chances of a place if they made a late application were good.

Since then they have encouraged candidates to apply pointing out that the ranks do go a lot lower than other schools as the out of catchment candidates take a large chunk of the top ranks and then are not able to apply as they are not in catchment.

DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The admissions policy which led to that frankly bizarre act on the part of Latymer was borderline, if not completely, illegal.

The current policy does at least include a final oversubscription criterion referring to those residing out of area (the policy at the time of the events referred to did not have a 'remaining applicants' category under its oversubscription criteria), although the wording is such that it doesn't inspire too much hope that the school wouldn't try the same tactic again, should it find itself in the position of not having filled to PAN with eligible IC applicants who had named the school as their highest effective preference):

5. Applicants resident outside the Inner Area in rank order. (Please note that this criterion will only be applied if the school is unable to fill places from within the Inner Area).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Jonesj6

Post by Jonesj6 »

Dear All,

My daughter wrote the entrance exam this year 2021 in Henrietta Barnett (HBS) and cleared 2 rounds and invited to apply.

In parallel to this, I am also with the genuine reason to relocate to Barnett council area as my company is transferring me to one of my office at Barnett area. This transfer plan has started in Aug 2021 itself as my current project is finishing and before we know the result from HBS. So its genuine situation.

Now, if I move the house to Barnett area before 31st Oct 2021 or by end of Nov, will the council consider to give the admission as per “3 miles catchment” category?

My daughter wrote the exams for local grammar schools as well where I live and secured the eligibility scores. Now, I am in the dilemma of moving the house to Barnet area and submit the CAF at Barnet council (or) leave it as is for few months and apply the CAF to the council where I live currently with priority 1 for HBS and see...

Irrespective of my daughter will get the admission at HBS, I am going to work at Barnet area from November by moving house or by driving to work at Barnet.

This is 100% genuine situation and came across to my way. Please suggest what would be the best to do.
Kavi33

Re: HBS just sent a letter to all second round candidates

Post by Kavi33 »

Daogroupie wrote:Reminding them to put HBS first if it is their first choice and that they will not be releasing any rank scores.I guess this is their second round results email!
Here is a copy of the letter.
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021, 16:15

Subject: The Henrietta Barnett School - Round Two Candidates
Dear Parent(s)/Guardian(s) of

Thank you very much for your interest in a place at The Henrietta Barnett School. We hope that your daughter’s experience of sitting the Entrance Tests was a positive one.

As you know, your daughter performed well enough in Round One to enable her to sit the Round Two test. Therefore, it is the case that she may be offered a place at the School. Please note that candidates for whom the Local Authority confirms that they meet Category Three of the Oversubscription Criteria (live within 3 miles subject to checks by Barnet Local Authority), will be considered ahead of those in Category Four (the rest in rank order). In 2020 and 2021, the vast majority of candidates were in Category Four. You will understand that we can only give an indication of the situation, because we do not know how many of our candidates will choose to put Henrietta Barnett down as 1st preference on the CAF form and that informs how far down the ranking we can offer places.

I hope it is useful to take this opportunity to remind you that it is important to list The Henrietta Barnett School as your daughter's first preference if you do want her to come here. If you place Henrietta Barnett as your daughter’s first preference and then she is not offered a place, you will not jeopardise her chances of being given a place at those other schools you have named. If you do not put Henrietta Barnett down as your highest preference, then your daughter will not be offered a place. Your daughter will be offered a place at the school which you have ranked highest amongst those for which your application meets the admissions criteria. You are therefore strongly advised to rank the schools to which you are applying in your genuine order of preference.

As we want our students to arrive as equals in September 2022, scores and rankings will not be released. Second Round candidates who are not offered a place by the Local Authority on National Offers Day, and who do not wish to remain on the Waiting List for the School, can request their test scores after 1st March 2022.

The closing date for applications for the CAF form to your Local Authority is 31st October 2021. No other forms apart from the CAF are needed in order to apply. Offers of a school place can only be made by your Local Authority. They will let you know the outcome on National Offer Day which is 1st March 2022.

Kind regards,

Kimberley Jackson

Assistant Head (Wellbeing and Operations)
Hi,
I also received the same letter for my daughter. I was wondering whether all the 300 candidates received the same letter. Has anyone else received the same letter?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

All 300 candidates received the same letter.

It is not an offer letter as some tutors and parents are posting on facebook pages, it is simply a reminder to rank HBS first if it is your first choice and if not your first choice then rank it above all preferences you prefer it over.

DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now