Hbs second round results and discussion

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Hbs second round results and discussion

Post by Daogroupie »

Nobody who did not pass the first round will be offered a place as they have not done the second round.

The waiting list is ranked by how many students are on the waiting list, it is not linked to the original ranks.

The admissions criteria specify that places will only be offered to those who sit the second round and you can only sit the second round if you pass the first round.

Hanzi2007,

Are you planning to move if you are offered a place?

Hopefully you applied for Parmiters and will receive your results next Wed. DG
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I'm not sure this is very helpful:
If you do not put Henrietta Barnett down as your highest preference, then your daughter will not be offered a place. Your daughter will be offered a place at the school which you have ranked highest amongst those for which your application meets the admissions criteria.
Your daughter will be offered a place even if you don't put HBS first if you don't qualify for the schools you rank above it and you do qualify for HBS. I know the second sentence sort of says that, but the first sentence says the exact opposite and is misleading.
mad?

Post by mad? »

streathammum wrote:I'm not sure this is very helpful:
If you do not put Henrietta Barnett down as your highest preference, then your daughter will not be offered a place. Your daughter will be offered a place at the school which you have ranked highest amongst those for which your application meets the admissions criteria.
Your daughter will be offered a place even if you don't put HBS first if you don't qualify for the schools you rank above it and you do qualify for HBS. I know the second sentence sort of says that, but the first sentence says the exact opposite and is misleading.
I completely agree - it is somewhat disingenuous IMO
mad?
nyr

Post by nyr »

Sam11+ wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Entry Sep 20 the waiting list reached 29 by mid September. DG
Not sure if my understanding is correct: since they offered no. 299 on 31 March and waiting list 29 offered by mid Sep. Does that mean DD didn’t pass round 1 has potential to be offered as soon as HB is placed in first choice? Thank you DG

Sam11+, if a candidate ranked 299 was offered a place on 31st March then they would have been in the top 300 for Round 1 AND met at least one of the the following criteria:
  • looked after,
    in receipt of the pupil premium,
    within 3 miles of the school.
The waiting list moving 29 places would have been for other applicants, where the last candidate to be offered a place on 1st March might be ranked somewhere around 90. This number being from the top of my head, as I don't have access to the data but if you can provide a link to it then I could interpret it.

In answer to your question, sadly, it is unlikely that the waiting list would ever reach candidates who didn't pass Round 1.
tan3

Post by tan3 »

Could this be
1) genuinely due to past experience by the HBS/council where a lot of DDs sat Round 2, ranked well to be selected in out of catchment criterion, eventually parents rejected the offer in favour of other grammars/private places, thereby co-ordinated process became difficult? If true, it can explain swift movement of waiting list in March. OR
2) a clever plan by the HBS to force parents of Round 2 DDs to put it down as top priority on CAF to then win the competition over other grammars/privates and secure top performing DDs? This is assuming those parents will be reluctant to reject HBS once offered.

Can anybody with past experience shine some clues?

Either way, this helps nothing for out of catchment parents like me - we want to put the HBS down as top priority, but if there's indeed a definite chance or not a real chance for our DD to get a place based on the ranking then we'd rather make plans with moving into the HBS area or alternative offers in mind respectively than wait till March (or even beyond) :(

Quote:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The majority of places will be taken by out of catchment dds. Last year it was 65 out of 104.

How did the second round go for your dd?

Was she able to complete both papers? DG
mad?

Post by mad? »

tan3 wrote: Quote:
Just for clarity the sentence highlighted in bold is not true. You could put HBS bottom on your list and still be offered it if your DD did not qualify for any of her higher preferences.
mad?
dad2021

Post by dad2021 »

I was also surprised by their quote "If you do not put Henrietta Barnett down as your highest preference, then your daughter will not be offered a place. Your daughter will be offered a place at the school which you have ranked highest amongst those for which your application meets the admissions criteria"

Does even HBS know at what preference I have stated in CAF form? That information should reside with local council.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

dad2021 wrote:I was also surprised by their quote "If you do not put Henrietta Barnett down as your highest preference, then your daughter will not be offered a place. Your daughter will be offered a place at the school which you have ranked highest amongst those for which your application meets the admissions criteria"

Does even HBS know at what preference I have stated in CAF form? That information should reside with local council.
they don't know where you have put them
Sam11+

Post by Sam11+ »

nyr wrote:
Sam11+ wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Entry Sep 20 the waiting list reached 29 by mid September. DG
Not sure if my understanding is correct: since they offered no. 299 on 31 March and waiting list 29 offered by mid Sep. Does that mean DD didn’t pass round 1 has potential to be offered as soon as HB is placed in first choice? Thank you DG

Sam11+, if a candidate ranked 299 was offered a place on 31st March then they would have been in the top 300 for Round 1 AND met at least one of the the following criteria:
  • looked after,
    in receipt of the pupil premium,
    within 3 miles of the school.
The waiting list moving 29 places would have been for other applicants, where the last candidate to be offered a place on 1st March might be ranked somewhere around 90. This number being from the top of my head, as I don't have access to the data but if you can provide a link to it then I could interpret it.

In answer to your question, sadly, it is unlikely that the waiting list would ever reach candidates who didn't pass Round 1.
I see - thank you nyr.
I think here is the link for the offer made on in March 2021.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... sthrough=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... sthrough=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now