Hbs second round results and discussion

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum_1

Hbs second round results and discussion

Post by mum_1 »

For Maths test are all questions of same mark or they vary and does working out can get marks.
Are there choices for writing tasks?
Can anyone please share types of writing asked in past papers.
Thanks.
John777

Re: Hbs second round

Post by John777 »

mum_1 wrote:For Maths test are all questions of same mark or they vary and does working out can get marks.
Are there choices for writing tasks?
Can anyone please share types of writing asked in past papers.
Thanks.
faq 17. Can I post information about 11+ test content (e.g. questions my child can recall), or request such information?

Remember that there may well be sessions for late sitters [and special arrangements for children moving into the area after all the scheduled sittings].
As a responsible forum we will not allow anything to be posted that might prejudice the integrity of the test.

No one should be revealing any aspect of test content unless a moderator has agreed.
[It is for moderators to decide if and when it is safe to post, based on a knowledge of local circumstances where possible, or on reliable evidence provided by members.]
Evidence that it is safe to post should be clear and beyond doubt (e.g. in writing from an authoritative source).
nyr

Post by nyr »

I think it should be okay to answer this right now. I believe the OP is asking for outline marking scheme and examples of 2nd round questions from 2020 and earlier, as the 2nd round this year, for 2022/2023 entry, hasn't taken place.
sanshetty

Post by sanshetty »

Congratulations to all parents whose dds made it to the second round of the Henrietta Barnet 11+ exam. Hard luck for all who missed it. The big element of luck in such competitive exam is undeniable.
My dd made the cut as well.
Looking forward to the second round, does anyone know the question types (broadly) that the dds will face. The mail says the English and Maths tests will be an hour each. I guess that, for English, there will be a creative writing and a few comprehension questions requiring written answers. Does anyone know if this is more-or-less correct? I doubt that there will be MCQ type questions in this round. Any guidance from parents, whose dds have sat this exam in the past, would be most helpful. Thanks
Last edited by sanshetty on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I don't think luck had anything to do with it.

Second round HBS is a standard format exam, not a multiple choice.

The format is the same as DAO and private schools such as HABS girls, St Pauls, NLCS etc.

The English will be answering questions on a text then followed by writing and the Maths will be writing the answers to questions from the KS2 national curriculum.

Some students will have put all their focus on the first round so will not pass the second round as they will not have time now to do the preparation required. This, in my experience, has made it a lot easier to pass the second round if your student was already preparing for the second round alongside the first round. DG
Worry_mom

Post by Worry_mom »

Please can someone point to the instructions for writing HBS Stage-2. Girls need to use pen or pencil for English?
DD recently wrote Sutton (NonSuch and Wallington) stage-2 and they had very clear instructions about this but haven't seen similar instructions from HBS.
jingo21

Post by jingo21 »

Can someone please advice ,if they need to show clear steps and working out for maths? does it have marking scheme? TIA
fiate2000

Post by fiate2000 »

Worry_mom wrote:Please can someone point to the instructions for writing HBS Stage-2. Girls need to use pen or pencil for English?
DD recently wrote Sutton (NonSuch and Wallington) stage-2 and they had very clear instructions about this but haven't seen similar instructions from HBS.
The Round 1 result email says the following under the Practical Arrangement heading:

She must bring the following (but nothing else) in a see-through plastic bag:

1) Pen, pencil, rubber.

2) A bottle of drinking water.

3) Hand sanitiser
Qeb2019

Post by Qeb2019 »

Last year the hardest maths question has been asked in this forum and way out of ks2.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

But if every dd finds it hard then it does not matter.

The issue comes when some dds can actually do it and then they receive a score for the question and so are ranked higher and secure a place.

Last year I know of a dd who found it really really hard but still secured a place on March 1st and she was not in catchment.

So clearly there were not enough girls who could do it so some of the girls who scored highly in the English still got offered a place even though they found the Maths really hard.

Perhaps some who could do the Maths found the English hard. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now