Latymer music audition invitation

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Desperation

Latymer music audition invitation

Post by Desperation »

Hi, we just received the email that my DS has been invited to a music audition at Latymer. Does this mean that he has already been scored academically and within that 900 marking I read on the admission policy?

The text reads:
"I am writing to invite XXXXX to attend an audition here at the School, as we are considering admission for Year 7 in September 2022 on the grounds of Outstanding Musical Ability. I would stress, however, that this consideration is entirely independent of the normal and principally academic criteria which apply to admission."

If it's totally independent, does it mean that it doesn't matter his academic score? or if he didn't score within 900, his audition will be cancelled?

thank you
N1parent21

Re: Latymer music audition invitation

Post by N1parent21 »

Received the same letter. They have to be on top 900 to be considered for music. But agree the letter was strangely worded.
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

That's what I thought too. Definitely confusing.
They should have marked the English too, right? That's what they say they do for music applicants.

Will we receive the academic ranking too?
N1parent21

Post by N1parent21 »

My understanding is that they screen first to get the musicians in the top 900.
(And to calculate the top 650 for everyone else)
We will learn this ranking imminently.

They will then mark all English papers for all those candidates
In the meantime, music auditions happen.

Then they calibrate all of that and we find out results late October….

But this is my first time so….
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

yes that's what I tought - the "totally independent" threw me off.

Do you have an idea of how many students are asked for auditions for those 20 places?
Skye777

Post by Skye777 »

I wonder if someone could shed some light - we also applied for a ‘music place’ for our DC but have NOT received an audition email.

Is this likely because DC has not placed within 900 in the first round? We’re doing other school viewings of local comps so would be good to know…. So confusing.
schlumpf

Post by schlumpf »

Skye, we were in a similar situation some years ago with DS. He didn’t get invited to audition, so I thought that his academic scores probably weren’t good enough. However, he was then offered a music place and it turned out his academic scores put him in the top 200. I never quite understood the logic of it. The lack of audition may have been because of his music exam record (grade 5 merit), though I had thought that you needed 5 (distinction) to be waved through without audition. But I remember it left us very confused for a few weeks before we finally got the letter.

So don’t get dejected, there can be other reasons for not being called to audition- you’ll just have to wait and see.
If you do get a music offer, it’s great, because you can then relax and not worry about rankings as you essentially have a guaranteed place as long as you live in catchment.

Good luck
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There were two different Music letters sent out by Latymer yesterday: A and B.

A was the letter notifying you of an audition.

B was the letter notifying you that the music level specified in your application does not require an audition. DG
schlumpf

Post by schlumpf »

Ah, interesting. That sounds like a better system than they had a few years ago then.
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

So how is the ranking going to work?

They say the music places are independently offered but the ranking has to be within 900.

Once this condition is met, then do they have a separate ranking for music like at DAO? Do they give a final ranking that includes English and music?

I agree, it's so confusing and quite opaque