Latymer music audition invitation

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
N1parent21

Re: Latymer music audition invitation

Post by N1parent21 »

My understanding is as follows:

Music places only have to be in top 900. English score not required to get a place.
Some kids get a place without audition because of Grade certificates.
Others audition and get a place.

Meanwhile English is marked and 192 places calibrated based on English scores and music places. Some music kids will get into the 192 on pure academics (once their English marked) so won’t need to use a “music place”.

Presumably, if your kid auditioned but didn’t get a place, they would still have a waiting list rank based on that?

I’m sure others have a better understanding than me
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Scores from the 2019 test which someone on this forum got under Freedom of Information showed that the English papers were not recorded for the top 20 music places or pupil premium or SEN or looked after children if they were within the top 900.
Last edited by exam2019 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Great, thanks. It seems a little clearer now (only just though :) )
Here's the part in the admission policy that relates to music places:

"Up to 20 applicants who show Exceptional Musical Talent will be considered for a music place. Applicants ranked within the top 900 will be deemed selective and only applicants deemed selective will be admitted. Exceptional musical talent can be demonstrated on any instrument/s (including voice) based on assessment with a recognised board such as ABRSM and Trinity. Applicants should usually have achieved at least Grade 5 distinction level, but this will depend on the instrument as well as previous opportunity and experience. Some applicants may not have reached Grade 5 distinction as a result of their starting point but this should not prohibit applicants from applying under the music criterion. Confirmation of this level may be tested by an audition. Please note that the school’s decision to audition candidates (or not) or to offer music places is final. The number of applicants admitted under this criterion can vary from year to year. Qualifying applicants applying under this category will have their written English papers marked, as places are limited under this criterion."

So it seems they mark the English paper too, or not?
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

I checked the 2019 results again. There were 41 "promoted" places: 3 were SEN/EHCP; 18 were pupil premium and 20 were music. None of those have recorded scores for english, but I know that the SEN places did have their english papers marked as I was told over the phone how it affected DS' rank (not much). So for whatever reason the english marks weren't released via the FOI request but they were included in the school's workings.
Amgmum

Post by Amgmum »

Daogroupie wrote:There were two different Music letters sent out by Latymer yesterday: A and B.

A was the letter notifying you of an audition.

B was the letter notifying you that the music level specified in your application does not require an audition. DG
About 8-9 years ago I had a student who got a letter saying that he doesn't need to audition, because his evidence was good enough, grade 5 distinction, to get a 2nd letter about a week later that he was not ranked in the top 350. So he didn't get a place.
Amgmum

Post by Amgmum »

schlumpf wrote:Skye, we were in a similar situation some years ago with DS. He didn’t get invited to audition, so I thought that his academic scores probably weren’t good enough. However, he was then offered a music place and it turned out his academic scores put him in the top 200. I never quite understood the logic of it. The lack of audition may have been because of his music exam record (grade 5 merit), though I had thought that you needed 5 (distinction) to be waved through without audition. But I remember it left us very confused for a few weeks before we finally got the letter.

So don’t get dejected, there can be other reasons for not being called to audition- you’ll just have to wait and see.
If you do get a music offer, it’s great, because you can then relax and not worry about rankings as you essentially have a guaranteed place as long as you live in catchment.

Good luck
I had quite a few students that had grade 5 merit, that were called for audition. Depends on the instrument, I guess. I've spoken to the head of music in 2018 and asked if you get through without auditioning if you have grade 5 distinction and he replied no, because there are a lot of children now that have grade 5 distinction. It's all a bit of a mystery.
Amgmum

Post by Amgmum »

Good luck to all that are auditioning.
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Thank you!
Yes, I agree, it's all a bit of a mystery... probably to preserve some discretion in the process
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Desperation wrote:Thank you!
Yes, I agree, it's all a bit of a mystery... probably to preserve some discretion in the process
Discretion doesn't really form part of the process, they have to follow both the law & their admissions criteria (which should be clear).
scary mum
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

@Scarymum - I suppose the discretion part comes in judging the music auditions, which are accounted for in the published admissions procedures.
There will be lots of candidates who score higher academically than the lowest ranked music candidate and don't get a place.
There will be music candidates who don't pass the audition and don't get a place, but scored higher academically than the lowest ranked music candidate.
So lots of room for controversy even if the school sticks to its policy!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now