Latymer Oct 2021 results and discussion

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brown

Re: Latymer Oct 2021 results and discussion

Post by Brown »

scary mum wrote:What are you confused about?
The scores are standardised so this means that any differences in difficulty of exam or scores of the candidates are evened out.
I remember 2 years ago someone I know got the similar score and got her place in latymer .
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

exam2019 wrote:Facts and figures from our "no" letter for round 1:
2338 Applicants in total
Highest standardised scores in each test (VR and Maths) 141
201 Music applications. 146 candidates submitted music evidence. 30 children invited to audition.
"other children could not be considered for a music place given the high standard and volume of applicants" - which isn't clear at all about implications for those who submitted evidence but were not asked to audition...
Thanks, that's interesting, I agree it doesn't clarify much though. How many candidates are being considered for the 20 music places overall once the 900 mark is taken into account ? What about the candidates that have been sent the letter that they don't need the evidence of an audition (I assume because they have high grading).
Are the 146 candidates that submitted evidence, just anyone who filled the music form? Or are these the ones that have a music grade ?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Brown wrote:
The scores are standardised so this means that any differences in difficulty of exam or scores of the candidates are evened out.
I remember 2 years ago someone I know got the similar score and got her place in latymer .
Unfortunately the VR score has dragged the total.down. I presume this was why you were asking about re-marking? I don't know the answer, but it may say on the school website, or you could try calling them.
scary mum
Brown

Post by Brown »

scary mum wrote:
Brown wrote:
Unfortunately the VR score has dragged the total.down. I presume this was why you were asking about re-marking? I don't know the answer, but it may say on the school website, or you could try calling them.
Thanks scary mum
Qeb2019

Post by Qeb2019 »

Brown wrote:
It was the maths and vr scores after second round restandardised so lower the first round scores, I think.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Desperation wrote:
exam2019 wrote:Facts and figures from our "no" letter for round 1:
2338 Applicants in total
Highest standardised scores in each test (VR and Maths) 141
201 Music applications. 146 candidates submitted music evidence. 30 children invited to audition.
"other children could not be considered for a music place given the high standard and volume of applicants" - which isn't clear at all about implications for those who submitted evidence but were not asked to audition...
Thanks, that's interesting, I agree it doesn't clarify much though. How many candidates are being considered for the 20 music places overall once the 900 mark is taken into account ? What about the candidates that have been sent the letter that they don't need the evidence of an audition (I assume because they have high grading).
Are the 146 candidates that submitted evidence, just anyone who filled the music form? Or are these the ones that have a music grade ?
I took it that 201 ticked the box on the form. Not knowing the questions on the form I don’t know whether submitting evidence meant grade certificates or any additional information in support of the application? If, say, I ticked the box and then gave no comment or certificate I suspect my application would be deemed less interesting than those who submitted something? And I suppose the standard varies from year to year.

And of course there’s no information about where the 200 fell in relation to the 900 cut off. Maybe only a fraction made it there?

Superficially it seems quite straightforward this criteria but it’s not at all!
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Make sense - The form asked for type and level (graded or estimated) of instrument and name of the music teacher. Maybe that’s the evidence of those 146.
From previous years it seems that they take approx 15 kids from those 30 called for auditions, and 4-5 automatically thanks to high music grading achieved - which seems a much better scenario than DAO where they call 100 for audition for 10 music places!

No info about what they do with English score though… and how it affects the music, if at all.

Does anybody know whether and when Latymer communicates music ranking once the auditions have been done?
Is it together with the final academic ranking?
sachi78

Post by sachi78 »

Can someone confirm whether Latymer invited only those applicants for music audition who is having grade 5 or above (distinction) certification? Though my kid didn't get any audition invitation but in overall mark letter they are saying that kid is in top 900 and english paper will be evaluated. No clarity has been provided by admission team on this so far so we are in full of confusion.
N1parent21

Post by N1parent21 »

c200 kids applied for music
No clarity on what % of these achieved top 900 status.
30 top 900 kids invited for audition
+ a handful with grade 6 plus abrsm automatically qualify W ith no need to audition.

Assumption is that not every music applicant in the top 900 will qualify for one of the 30 audition places. In other words, there are more music applicants in the top 900 than audition places. Typically audition places have gone to approx grade 4/5 level with a few for lower grades on unusual instruments.

Hope that makes sense.
sachi78

Post by sachi78 »

Thanks @ N1parent21 for giving clarity. it seems, my kid was not in top 30 in spite of having Grade 4 distinction in music. However I am not sure why admission team keeps these information as secret. Admission and selection policy should be transparent. Thanks again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now