Latymer Oct 2021 results and discussion

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HoverParent

Re: Latymer Oct 2021 results and discussion

Post by HoverParent »

Sachi78:

For Music: We placed out of audition with a G5 Distinction in Primary and a G3 Distinction in Secondary.

So, you will either have received a letter that says, you place out of audition, or a letter inviting you to an audition. I don't think you will receive a letter with further information declining the placement at all. So no news is bad news.

Then, we received the letter stating top 650, commencing grading of the English paper. Which means placing out of the audition is not sufficient for entry, it still needs to arrive at a final answer from this last step.

Nothing else. So placing out of audition, is not an automatic place. It still goes through the entire process.

But if you did not place out of audition (unknown number, but probably about 10, this is pure speculation), and then did not receive an opportunity to audition (30 have been invited, probably 10 will be selected but that is just a guess), then probably the academic qualification will be the quota for acceptance (which again, is about 1/3).

So, overall, anyone still standing is about 1/3, very much like the penultimate episode of Squid Game!
N1parent21

Post by N1parent21 »

I might be wrong but it seems the most logical explanation.

Though perhaps DG has more intel….
N1parent21

Post by N1parent21 »

Also does your DC just play piano?
Often schools are particularly interested in orchestral instruments…
sachi78

Post by sachi78 »

Hi @ HoverParent , neither we have received any communication for 'place out' of audition, nor a letter inviting you to an audition. However got a letter that my kid is in top 900 and after evaluating english paper, final rank will be shared :(

N1parent21, my kid plays piano but if school prefers Orchestra instrument then they should document it somewhere so that parent can refer it and work with their kids from the beginning :(

Thanks for sharing these valuable information on this forum which not shared by admission team. Hopefully it will be helpful for 2023 batch kids.
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

calling out all experts :} I have a question about the results that will come up by the end of October.

Will we be given a ranking? Either academic or music one? How does Latymer function? Would we be able to know what chances of a place there we have? or would we need to wait for March like HB?

thanks x
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Last year Latymer gave detailed rankings for all applicants in the first round..

This year the top 650 were not given any details except that they had reached the second round.

So I hope they will give the details on the ranking for the second round. DG
Amgmum

Post by Amgmum »

Desperation wrote:calling out all experts :} I have a question about the results that will come up by the end of October.

Will we be given a ranking? Either academic or music one? How does Latymer function? Would we be able to know what chances of a place there we have? or would we need to wait for March like HB?

thanks x
2 years ago, my daughter was invited for audition. Grade 5 Merit, Trinity, piano and grade 2 Distinction, Abrsm, harp. The 1st round letter only stated that your child has scored hogh enough to have her English marked, according to the oversubscription criteria, not sure if in first 500, or 900 as it was then. We never had a ranking for music, she didn't get a place based on music, but was ranked around 520...can't remember at the top of my head, after English being marked.
3 years ago I had 2 students, one with piano Abrsm grade 5 Distinction one Merit, both invited for audition. Again no ranking for music, but were ranked in the 200-300 after English being marked, both got in on allocation day.
Last year I had a student that got a letter saying her English will be marked because of the music application. She was ranked 659 after first round, and they ended up not marking her English, because she only had Grade 1 exam certificate, although she applied for a music place and was at Grade 4 level in December.
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Thanks both, that’s very helpful.
So if I understand correctly, Latymer doesn’t seem to release a separate music ranking like DAO does but somehow they sum it to the academic rankings or maybe they don’t sum it and the music is completely independent, however all they say is whether the child is offered a music place or not.

I’m trying to understand whether we will have an idea whether we have a chance of a music place by the end of October or whether we will have to wait for March.

When were your students notified that they had a music place?

Thanks x
Amgmum

Post by Amgmum »

Desperation wrote:Thanks both, that’s very helpful.
So if I understand correctly, Latymer doesn’t seem to release a separate music ranking like DAO does but somehow they sum it to the academic rankings or maybe they don’t sum it and the music is completely independent, however all they say is whether the child is offered a music place or not.

I’m trying to understand whether we will have an idea whether we have a chance of a music place by the end of October or whether we will have to wait for March.

When were your students notified that they had a music place?

Thanks x
From what I know you are not told if you get a music place. I had a few auditioning, but don't know for sure if they got in through music or not. They were not told. They were never given a ranking. I was just thinking if they only offer a music place to 20 students and they don't put Latymer as first choice, then the school ends up giving fewer music places. They say "up to 20 places". Ashmole and DAO give rankings. Ashmole gives 20 places and they always end up in the 40-50s.
MrsA

Post by MrsA »

Does anybody know when we can expect to hear from Latymers with second round results? I know they gave a date for some time in the half term, but I wondered if they are likely to give scores earlier than this.

Thanks in advance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now