QE results & discussion Oct 2021

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

puisker345

Re: QE results & discussion Oct 2021

Post by puisker345 »

What have you come up with? It would be easier to help you if you identified some areas, shortlisted them, and sought opinions? I would find it not-polite to expect people to do the homework for me.

call me ol'fashioned
IMHO if someone likes a little help, asking people on a forum where people are likely to have prior experience isn't too big a sin :wink: But to each their own I guess. Regarding OP, sorry but I really don't have much of a clue regarding the Latymer catchment

Disclosure (in the interests of transparency) - puisker345 and jazbaati99 are related
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'm pretty sure all of the boroughs of Enfield and Barnet are in the Latymer catchment (you might need to check the Westernmost bits of Barnet) - it would be easy to get to QE from pretty much anywhere in those areas too (though on public transport I'd have thought which would be how most boys would get there anyway).
Qeb2019

Post by Qeb2019 »

Some post code there can be eligible for Dame Alice Owen, another brilliant school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You may not want to go North as you are working West but Potters Bar, Brookmans Park, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City will give you train and bus access to QE and train access to DAO as they are all in catchment.

Based on today's results it has been easier to get into second round of DAO than the second round of Latymer as even though Latymer has twice the spaces there were more than double the applicants and you had to pass Maths and VR, not just VR.

Plus this area has decent non selective state schools as backup.

DG
thisisap76

Post by thisisap76 »

My DS son qualified the QE test and we have been invited to visit the school. We live quite far way (Berkshire) and we have already been to the open day that took place at QE several months before the test so we know about the school.

Want to check with the fellow members here on how different the tour now is going to be from Open Day. Just wondering if we can save a trip.
jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 »

It is very similar to the tours done on the open day. The only difference is that this tour is a teacher led tour instead of a QE boy. Personally I found the open day tour more helpful as we had a very helpful boy leading the tour. We asked him loads of questions and he was very patient and answered everything in quite detail.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Our experience was slightly different. We found that during the open evening departments exhibit work and visitors can talk to teachers and existing students, try out experiments, listen to musical performances, etc. The post 11+ tour was an opportunity to look around during a normal school day and hence it was less showy and far less interactive but it did give another opportunity to ask the tour guides and a member of the SLT any final questions which may help with CAF submission. We found it useful, 8 years ago.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

thisisap76 wrote:My DS son qualified the QE test and we have been invited to visit the school. We live quite far way (Berkshire) and we have already been to the open day that took place at QE several months before the test so we know about the school.

Want to check with the fellow members here on how different the tour now is going to be from Open Day. Just wondering if we can save a trip.
If you plan to make your DS do the trip for the next 7 years, it's worth making the trip now.

If your preference is a school closer to home, don't waste your time.
suave_redevil

Post by suave_redevil »

We visited the school this morning on invitation post the 11+ test result. The tour is very similar to what was covered in the Open Morning held earlier in the year. One additional point that was as mentioned in a previous post was the opportunity to talk to the Head and senior staff at the end of the tour and ask any outstanding questions regarding the school and the admission process.
rala

Post by rala »

@suave_redevil , did you the school disclose what was the lowest score to secure a place in Sept'21?