Alternative option

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Positivema

Alternative option

Post by Positivema »

Can someone plese advise on any other alternative for DD, as we were not lucky to get HBS and Latymer and DD was very hopeful to get in these schools and was doing great so far, but not sure where it went wrong, Indies are not an option for us as can't afford.We don't have any good school in catchment either, we can not apply to any religious school either. Is there any 12+ she can try.As a mother it is painful to see your able child dishearten in this young age.
hermanmunster

Re: Alternative option

Post by hermanmunster »

whereabouts do you live? what are your local catchment schools?
Positivema

Post by Positivema »

hermanmunster wrote:whereabouts do you live? what are your local catchment schools?
In Finchley, arround more than a mile to wren academy.
jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 »

Sorry to hear that. All I can say is that a smart child will do brilliantly in any school he/she go to. I am sure that your DD have a very bright future ahead of her.

Regarding the alternates, please have a look at this link https://www.barnet.gov.uk/sites/default ... e_2021.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It shows the catchment distance for all schools in Barnet last year. I hope it helps you in making a good choice for your DD. Good luck
pn8572

Post by pn8572 »

Positivema wrote:Can someone please advise on any other alternative for DD, as we were not lucky to get HBS and Latymer and DD was very hopeful to get in these schools and was doing great so far, but not sure where it went wrong, Indies are not an option for us as can't afford.We don't have any good school in catchment either, we can not apply to any religious school either. Is there any 12+ she can try.As a mother it is painful to see your able child dishearten in this young age.
I would advise not to worry if DD did not clear HBS/Latymer. There are many other options. The only thing is, you may need to try it out and it might or might not work. There is risk involved at the moment.

Importantly, do you feel it is worth moving from where you are? Do you have another child to plan about? There are many factors (finance, travel to work, house move hassle, etc..)involved before making a decision.

Where else DD has given exams? Based on that you may need to see the options available.
Is there any 12+
- Yes, Bucks has 12+. I am not sure about other places. [ Yes as scary mum mentioned below in comment, 12+ is applicable only if there are any vacancies that arises, - which is very rare)
Last edited by pn8572 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PP
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

- Yes, Bucks has 12+. I am not sure about other places.
There is no guarantee of a 12+ place in Bucks thoguh, even if a child passes the test. There have to be places available. Some schools did have an extra class added in years 8 or 9 but i believe that has stopped now (worth checking though). Otherwise it is just the odd place where a child has moved schools during year 7.
scary mum
Qeb2019

Post by Qeb2019 »

Sorry to hear that, however you don’t need to worry about secondary school as my daughter did not take Latymer test as it was CEM at that time because she did not like it. She went to an average school in Enfield and got into all good sixth forms including Latymer, HBS…Finally she chose DAO and she loves her new school. I think sixth form is more important than GCSE. Your DD will be fine if she keeps working.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The margins between missing and passing the Latymer second round were very small.
Each score had multiple students on it, for example score 213 gave a rank of 772 and score 212 was 32 ranks lower on 804.
So it is easy to see how quickly those 650 places were filled up.
Some DCs would have scored a very high total for the second round with their English paper had they not been knocked out by a slightly lower Maths or VR score.
I know of several children who made DAO 2nd round with half the numbers of spaces but not Latymer, including one who scored 141, the highest possible score in the DAO VR.
Just including the Maths score for the Latymer second round changed the outcomes. I also know of several DCs who made Latymer and not DAO and others who made HBS but not Latymer.
It is just the sheer weight of numbers where a mark here and there makes all the difference.
The level of her scores would get her into to a number of good private schools so you might want to consider sitting and applying for a bursary. Even if she does not end up going it would be a boost to her confidence to secure a place.
Everything she has learnt will stand her in very good stead for Y7 and every year I hear of students getting fantastic GCSE results who just missed out on an 11 plus place. DG
edited by moderator
nyr

Post by nyr »

Sorry about your disappointment, Positive Ma.

My niece didn't pass the Latymer and HBS exams 7 years ago and went to a local comp, as indies weren't an option. I won't deny that she was disheartened but, with lots of parental encouragement, she soon picked herself up and did well in her GCSE. She's now in Y13 at DAO and thinking of applying to good universities for very competitive courses.

Is Archer a possibility? The catchment is a bit odd and rules keep changing, with places for N2, N3 and NW11.