St. Michael's Catholic Grammar School-North Finchley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anna1111

St. Michael's Catholic Grammar School-North Finchley

Post by anna1111 »

I would be very grateful if anyone with experience of St. Michael's Catholic Grammar School would like to share their thoughts here.
The school hasn't planned an open day for 11+ entry this Autumn term and not being able to visit the place makes very difficult to have an insight of the school and the atmosphere there.

Thank you
wisdom

Re: St. Michael's Catholic Grammar School-North Finchley

Post by wisdom »

I have been a St M parent for quite a while now, although sadly our journey has come to an end as youngest daughter has now moved on to university.

We have had a great experience with the school overall. As with all schools, there are excellent aspects and some weaker areas but overall the plus sides win for me. My DDs were very happy at the school, had great teaching, friends and were always encouraged to achieve their best and aim high.

Academically, the school was great for my DDs: good teaching, very structured learning, high expectations and great choice of subjects for a small school. I would say their language teaching, sciences and maths are particularly good.

Sportswise, although the school lacks in facilities, they do make an effort and the girls actually have plenty of opportunities to compete in netball, dance and other activities.

As there is no catchment, girls can live quite far so their social life tends to be less active than at other catchment schools (plus there is quite a bit of homework).

On the catholic life of the school, it is of course always present but each girl participates to the level that they feel is right for them and plenty of moral/religious discussion is encouraged.

Good luck and hope this helps.
anna1111

Post by anna1111 »

Hi Wisdom
Thank you for sharing your experience, it was really helpful.
Spcs160bb

Post by Spcs160bb »

Hi Wisdom,

Thanks for your useful information. Do you mind I pm you to ask some more about this school? My girl has got the sixth form conditional offer and I am now thinking whether to move her from independent school to grammar school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now