DAO or Private?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Niknak

DAO or Private?

Post by Niknak »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me!

I have a DD in Y4 at state primary school. We are in the priority area to sit for DAO.

My questions:

1. My DD sat for a co ed prep school with senior attached and secured a place. Is it best to move her now since they will prep her for 11 plus or tutor her and leave her where she is?
2. If we decide to tutor, what materials are best suited for DAO exams.

My concern is that if DD did get into DAO having moved her to prep for 3 years would mean more disruption for her. She is a sensitive soul. But if she did not get in DAO then she would likely go from the prep to the senior school without too much trouble.

Perhaps I am overthinking!

Any advise would be welcome!
hermanmunster

Re: DAO or Private?

Post by hermanmunster »

I can't answer all your questions but moving after 3 years is no problem, we relocated and DD went to a prep for 3 years, others arrived after her and they all got on fine, 3 years is quite a long time for a youngster.
Qeb2019

Post by Qeb2019 »

Niknak wrote:Hello,

I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me!

I have a DD in Y4 at state primary school. We are in the priority area to sit for DAO.

My questions:

1. My DD sat for a co ed prep school with senior attached and secured a place. Is it best to move her now since they will prep her for 11 plus or tutor her and leave her where she is?
2. If we decide to tutor, what materials are best suited for DAO exams.

My concern is that if DD did get into DAO having moved her to prep for 3 years would mean more disruption for her. She is a sensitive soul. But if she did not get in DAO then she would likely go from the prep to the senior school without too much trouble.

Perhaps I am overthinking!

Any advise would be welcome!
DAOgroupie is an expert, you can read her posts about DAO.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Through preps are a business and they want to keep their customers and their revenue streamIt would be not be a good business model to teach students to the correct 11 plus level to enable them to leave at the end of Y6.
The vast majority of DAO students are from state primaries, the numbers from preps are very low and the ones that are there will be the ones who have used tutors or the parents have done the preparation themselves.
Was the reason for applying to a through prep because you were not happy with your state prep? DG
Niknak

Post by Niknak »

Thanks for the replies.

DD is happy at school, after an unsettled start (which lasted for two years, which is why I was concerned re disruption for her). I have two DD's both at the same primary school. Both DD's went to school during lockdown and both their teachers said they thrived in a small class size. Both are the quieter members of their classes. DD2 is also very quick to catch on and her teacher has commented on how bright she is (she is late August born). My SIL, who is a teacher actually suggested the private route so DD2 could be challenged more. Sending DD2 and not DD1 to private school was not something I felt comfortable doing, so I was pleasantly surprised that DD1 passed the assessment for the private school and actually she passed with higher marks than DD2. That is how it has all come about. It will however, be a hard slog to afford private school fees for both, not to mention trips etc.

DD1 (while she does not have the natural ability of DD2) is a hard worker who wants to do well and is developing in confidence. She is somewhat a late bloomer. As she has passed the assessment, it has given me more confidence in her abilities too and has made me consider that with some hard work (which she is willing to do) DAO may be an option.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

if she does to a through prep she will want to stay with the friends she makes, so it would be a waste of time preparing her for DAO.

Most ten year olds find it hard to imagine that they might find friends more suited to them than the ones they already have.

When my dds were in primary most of their classmates wanted to go to secondary school with their friends.

Several threatened to "spoil" the paper if their parents "forced" them to sit DAO. DG
Pushyparent83

Post by Pushyparent83 »

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. @Daogroupie do you think music results will come before academic results for DAO, are they usually early as well. Agonising wait!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Read the other thread.

They will arrive at the same time as some students will be receiving both results.

I am expecting both DAO and Latymer before the end of next week.

DAO more likely as they are always early. DG