Latymer (please tell me about it)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Super

Re: Latymer (please tell me about it)

Post by Super »

Thanks EUMum. Do you worry about the crime in the local area when your child gets public transport? As I work, I can’t collect my DD so she would have to get public transport (buses towards Enfield). I’ve been looking at the crime stats in the local area of the school and getting worried. My DD is luckily quite mature and would like the independence of travel to school.

I’m also interested to hear about the school facilities. I know the sports facilities are good but being an older school is it outdated inside? Our local comp has very good facilities being a relative new school. I probably shouldn’t compare!

I’m probably getting well ahead of myself now as we don’t even know what our ranking is yet!
EUMum

Post by EUMum »

Super wrote:Thanks EUMum. Do you worry about the crime in the local area when your child gets public transport? As I work, I can’t collect my DD so she would have to get public transport (buses towards Enfield). I’ve been looking at the crime stats in the local area of the school and getting worried. My DD is luckily quite mature and would like the independence of travel to school.

I’m also interested to hear about the school facilities. I know the sports facilities are good but being an older school is it outdated inside? Our local comp has very good facilities being a relative new school. I probably shouldn’t compare!

I’m probably getting well ahead of myself now as we don’t even know what our ranking is yet!
On paper, the crime rate might be higher around the school than locally to us. In reality, I'm not concerned. The kids DC goes with now are more responsible than those DC went to primary with, if I may generalise. But then also, this is part of growing up in London in my view.

Saying that, DC is my oldest and I wasn't prepared for the big change it was for me as a parent, with a DC starting secondary. It was unnecessary stressful in hindsight.

As for the school buildings it was never something we took into account. We, inc DC, took the "vibe" and ethos of the school as more important. Style over substance and all that.

For DC, it is absolutely the right school. For someone else, it might not be.
Super

Post by Super »

Thanks EUMum. That’s reassuring about the travel. I think you are right about the vibe and ethos being really important. Not having visited the school it’s hard to get a feel for the vibe but I do really like their ethos. Thanks again for your insight.
onemoretogo21

Post by onemoretogo21 »

The routes travelling to EN2 I would say are the busiest. Literally students jump on the W8 to catch another bus to Palmers Green/Wood Green- Barnet- Oakwood- Southgate and of course Enfield.

Most schools only send 1or2 to Latymer each year but there will be many kids living in En2. Your child will not be the only one there will be many.
Stowic

Post by Stowic »

On the facilities point, I have yet to actually visit but they're doing an extensive refurbishment at the moment. They've just finished the library and now are beginning on changing rooms and classrooms. I'm not entirely sure what it involves though!
Super

Post by Super »

Great to hear that it’s a popular route onemoretogo21. I’m going to do a trial run with DD very soon! Also great to hear about the refurb Stowic. I like the idea of the pupils having a nice working environment.
rubythree

Post by rubythree »

Also similar situation here , my DD is currently year 7 having got a space in March via waiting list. Takes bus to and from and enjoys the journey having made lots of new friends this way. I only have positives to say about the school, communication is good, lots of opportunities for extra curricular activities and DD is very happy there!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So great to hear. Thanks for posting.

Most parents and DC are in the same boat unless they have an older sibling in the school. DG

Edited by moderator
hexic

Post by hexic »

We haven't found the school great with extra help, to be honest. A motivated child will be able to seek it out, but a struggling one less so. There is a strong ethos of letting them find their own way, and for lots of these kids (and the parents who provide discipline and tutoring!) that leads to good results. I was surprised how many seemed to be having tutoring to keep them at top levels. Homework is minimal. At the same time the discipline for behaviour is quite strict. That said, most parents and kids seem happy. The travel and area hasn't been a problem, but while the kids generally enjoy travelling with friends, the relentless commute can be really tiring.
Super

Post by Super »

That’s disappointing to hear about a lack of help when needed. I’ve heard that the teachers are usually very willing to provide help when asked but a child would need the confidence to do that. I suppose if a child needs more structured and consistent help then it might not be available.

I read that homework was about an hour a day. Is that what you’ve found or is it much less?

Agree about a relentless commute and how tiring that can be. Glad to hear area is not an issue.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now