DAO results coming through by email now

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pushyparent83

Re: DAO results coming through by email now

Post by Pushyparent83 »

I also thought they would come out together with academic results!!!
Nearly over now

Post by Nearly over now »

Thanks so much for all the help on here recently - it’s been so informative.

My question concerns how useful it is to be applying from Islington. Final ranking here 131. We know we won’t get anything on offer day but a friend in Islington got in this year very late i.e. August/September with a ranking of 260. I think. I know it’s way down the list but that’s what I understand. I understand the general rules ie they have to take 20 from Islington and half of them may be siblings/SEN et cetera. I fully expect NOT to feel optimistic until late next summer. But broadly what are the chances? Was 260 this year simply a very rogue result? Or is it often the case that a few dozen places get jumped a couple of times on the list because of the Islington quota and thus you’re actually in with a decent shout between (say) 100 and 150? Many thanks
engmum21

Post by engmum21 »

DS got 56th rank, happy !
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Desperation,

Post edited by Moderator

It says in the letter that the Music will come out by the 26th October.

For those with academic ranks from 1 to 65 you will get a place if you put it first.

For those with lower ranks the last rank to get in on allocation day last year was 85 and then it dropped another 27 places to 112 by September 21.

The previous year it reached 123 by September 20.

On Islington places there has to be a total of 20 but they can come from anywhere, Music, Sibling, academic, staff, looked after students.

Every time one of the student drops out they will be replaced by the next Islington student on the Islington waiting list.

Last year on allocation day the main rank was on 85 but the Islington rank was on 120.

The 120 Islington rank turned it down the next day so it would have then gone to the next Islington student in the academic ranks.

So I would advise all Islington applicants to put it first if it is your first choice. DG
Trinity39

Post by Trinity39 »

Hi DD got 98th place and DAO has always been our top choice. What are her chances of getting in? I don’t really understand the process as much :shock: and so have come on here hoping someone can help and explain! Thankyou so much in advance!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I do understand the process.

Rank 98 has got in every single year for the past twenty years including last year.

So based on the data so far she has a very good chance of being offered a place,so if it is your first choice you should put it first.

You do not have to do anything, if the waiting list reaches you then you will be offered a place. DG
MrsA

Post by MrsA »

My daughter ranked 50th in the tests. I know there are 65 academic spaces available. Would the Islington list interfere with her gaining a space? Or does this score guarantee entry?
Nearly over now

Post by Nearly over now »

So for the first time now we feel in this house there’s a proper dilemma. And yes have to admit it’s definitely a good dilemma to have. Any thoughts about the comparison between the two schools would be really welcome:

We’ve got a definite place at Saint Mary Magdalene Academy. A ranked position for DAO that means we’ve got a decent chance. Our time for reflection, it seems, has evaporated.

1. DG or others: we would have got into DAO the last three years on “last Islington child” and only just missed in 2018 (and thank you for your reply earlier this week). The maths I don’t know is: how far down the Islington list got offered on first allocation day the last few years? As opposed to over the summer months? Ie knowing this we will know how likely we are to be offered a place at the outset or much more likely an offer later in the summer? If anyone knows this it helps manage expectations.

2. Maths aside, any thoughts or views on a direct comparison of the two schools would be great. I’ve searched and can’t find a thread here comparing them. So I guess the schools themselves, the facilities and extracurricular on offer, all of that, but also yes the Islington commute and how it affects friendship building and weekend activity et cetera. We are a 10 minute walk from Finsbury Park. He’s a boy, he’s friendly outgoing and sensitive, not sporty/laddish but plenty of energy and likes computer stuff (I know no computer science at Mary Magdalene). We don’t run a car so transport feels important.

Many thanks again
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Mrs A,

The Islington list does not impact you at all.

You have been allocated rank 50.

No Islington students have applied yet, no students have applied yet.

When allocating places DAO will make sure that at LEAST 20 students from Islington are allocated one of the 200 total places.

They will go as far down the academic list as they need to in order to make the 20 spaces. If all the Islington spaces are full by the time they reach the academic criteria then there will be no priority at all for Islington academic candidates.

There are 65 academic spaces , you have been offered one of them [if you apply - Mod] so you have a guaranteed place.

Congratulations

Make sure you put DAO first if it is your first choice.

DG