St Michaels - Rankings

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CharlotteHens

St Michaels - Rankings

Post by CharlotteHens »

Can anyone post on here who has been given a ranking within the top 123 places, but is not going to put St Michael’s as their first choice on their CAF?
Congratulations goes to everyone who attempted 11+ It’s a tough road! But my DD nearly got a place & is fairly high (13th) on the waiting list….we know a few girls who won’t take up their places but just wanted some more reassurance that she would get in, to join her sister, eventually! Thanks!
Last edited by CharlotteHens on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Re: St Michaels - people declining places

Post by hermanmunster »

I am intrigued - have they actually offered places / produced a waiting list? No-one has actually applied yet.
CharlotteHens

Post by CharlotteHens »

They have given a ranking, in the same way all the selective schools have, and so there are a number of candidates who sat many exams, and had offers from more than one school, so I’m interested to see if there are many who will likely get offered St Michaels places (based on the rankings given), but are not putting it as their first choice. Does that explain it better?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

CharlotteHens wrote:They have given a ranking, in the same way all the selective schools have, and so there are a number of candidates who sat many exams, and had offers from more than one school, so I’m interested to see if there are many who will likely get offered St Michaels places (based on the rankings given), but are not putting it as their first choice. Does that explain it better?

Yes you are talking about ranking which means little at present - no-one has actually applied anywhere yet and there is no waiting list!

Certainly very many of those who have passed St Michaels will put other schools on the CAF and go there instead

this thread gives some of the ranks offered places on March 1st this year https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 71&t=61827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CharlotteHens

Post by CharlotteHens »

hermanmunster wrote:
CharlotteHens wrote:They have given a ranking, in the same way all the selective schools have, and so there are a number of candidates who sat many exams, and had offers from more than one school, so I’m interested to see if there are many who will likely get offered St Michaels places (based on the rankings given), but are not putting it as their first choice. Does that explain it better?

Yes you are talking about ranking which means little at present - no-one has actually applied anywhere yet and there is no waiting list!

Certainly very many of those who have passed St Michaels will put other schools on the CAF and go there instead

this thread gives some of the ranks offered places on March 1st this year https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 71&t=61827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There - I have amended the wording in my post - is that better now? I'm not quite sure the point of commenting on a post where you clearly have no vested interest. I was merely asking people who may be in the position I mentioned, for further information, as I have seen many others do before.
hermanmunster

Re: St Michaels - Rankings

Post by hermanmunster »

CharlotteHens, as one of the moderators of the forum and having been a member for over 15 years I am very careful to ensure that the information people post is factually correct and that they are not confused about the process and that there posts will not confuse others.

You stated that you people had been "offered" places and that you were on the "waiting list" - neither of which is correct at present as no-one has yet applied for a place. It is important that people appreciate that they still have to complete the CAF and in some cases the SIF and ensure that they submit it on time.
BGGSM

Post by BGGSM »

For St Michael’s, the girls are ranked from 1st (Top-Scorer) to the last number (the least successful). If your rank falls within the top 128 (PAN), then you are more or less guaranteed a place if you apply and put it on your CAF. Obviously it then depends on where the school has been placed on the form and whether the child gets a place at their more preferred school, which they have ranked higher on their CAF.

I think what CharlotteHens was trying to say (and forgive me if my assumptions are incorrect), was that her DD is 13 places away from the top 128, which would ordinarily put her on a waiting list, if all 128 DDs were to put St Michael’s as their first choice and thereby get a place.

I think your DD is in a fairly comfortable position and will get a place, if you place St Michael’s as your first choice, as it’s very likely that others will accept offers elsewhere.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

BGGSM wrote:For St Michael’s, the girls are ranked from 1st (Top-Scorer) to the last number (the least successful). If your rank falls within the top 128 (PAN), then you are more or less guaranteed a place if you apply and put it on your CAF. Obviously it then depends on where the school has been placed on the form and whether the child gets a place at their more preferred school, which they have ranked higher on their CAF.

I think what CharlotteHens was trying to say (and forgive me if my assumptions are incorrect), was that her DD is 13 places away from the top 128, which would ordinarily put her on a waiting list, if all 128 DDs were to put St Michael’s as their first choice and thereby get a place.

I think your DD is in a fairly comfortable position and will get a place, if you place St Michael’s as your first choice, as it’s very likely that others will accept offers elsewhere.

Indeed - and I posted a link from March this year indicating that the offers went down to a rank of 147 (and presumably further off the waiting list)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I suggest you avoid being rude to posters who are trying to help you.

The mods help posters in their own time as volunteers.

Nobody has been offered a place at any school as nobody has yet applied, therefore it is incorrect to say that.

Exam applicants have been sent their rank and it is their choice if they apply or not and if they apply what rank they place the school.

There will be many of those in the top ranks who have had other offers and may choose to put those schools so there is very good reason to be optimistic.

Just put it first then you can't go wrong. DG
1503ace

Post by 1503ace »

They offered out as far as 175th ranking last year according to the results email.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now