DAO - maths & english GCSE

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nyr

Re: DAO - maths & english GCSE

Post by nyr »

N14mother, I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with the school's results, which are excellent. I'm simply pointing out that the GCSE grades mentioned above are from an intake that is probably far more selective than suggested by the headline figure of 65 academic places for a 220 intake (I thought it was 200 and occasionally going over PAN, hence my figure of ~32.5%). Otherwise the Progress 8 score would be higher, and significantly so, than for many other schools that DAO is compared with, but it's not.

The A level grades are indeed good.

DAO seems to be a great school and I'm sure your DD will do well there.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/dow ... r-2022-23/

In the event of there being more than 200 applications (including children with EHCPs naming the School), places will be allocated in accordance with the oversubscription criteria below in number order (with highest priority being given to oversubscription criterion 1 and so on).

So PAN is 200.

Siblings are a higher criterion than the up to 65 places allocated on the entrance exam, so if the school goes over PAN, unless it hits the 200 before all siblings have been admitted, it's unlikely to be over PAN because of lots of siblings in a given year, it's because the school has chosen to carry on admitting past PAN in a lower category (and I'm going to guess that it will find room for all of the maximum of 65 'academic' applicants, even if PAN is reached before no.65, but may just fight shy of continuing further over for 'Children of Staff' and the second 'Distance' category?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

DAO PAN allocation

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO has been over PAN for the last 3 years.

This is triggered by the fact that the sibling criteria is not a fixed amount.

High sibling years such as Sept 19 with 99 siblings and also 11 staff places brought the total allocation that year to 215.

They always honour the staff criteria which is a great asset to the school bringing in outstanding teachers.

Sept 20 with 84 siblings and 5 staff places resulted in 206 and last year they were just 1 over with 86 siblings and 3 staff places.

I anticipate that over PAN will continue as families with twins and other siblings continue to target the school and staff with primary age children are drawn to the school by the prospect of spaces for all their school age children when they reach 11. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The way admissions work is that the school stops admitting when it reaches PAN, even if that means not all within a category are admitted. The number of siblings not being limited is, according to the school's own admissions policy, only relevant if PAN is reached within that criterion, that is, if the number of sibling applicants naming the school on their CAF and not being offered a higher preference would mean that 200 is reached before all such siblings were offered a place there.

In that case, According to the published admissions policy, no further siblings would be offered a place on national offer day- and no applicants at all from any lower criterion.
However, as its own admission authority, DAO can decide to go over PAN.

If this were a 'community' school, with the LA as its admission authority, it would be highly unlikely to do that.

Regularly going over PAN, without this being in response to a specific request from the LA to do so, to relieve local pressure on places, leaves the school in a potentially vulnerable position with an independent appeal panel. Some IAP members would take the view that the poor school was so full in the year group that it couldn't possibly take any more pupils, not even one with a good case for admission - but others would look at the pattern of regularly going over PAN in order to take applicants from nominally lower, but in some way 'advantageous' (to the school - all those clever DC boosting its exam results, retention of staff) criteria and decide that, say, an appellant did in fact have s stronger case to be the just one more added to all those unnecessary extras than the school had made not to have them.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx