HBS allocations thread 01 March 2022

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SWLMum

Re: HBS allocations thread 01 March 2022

Post by SWLMum »

Daogroupie wrote:Yes, the waiting list email from HBS arrived this morning. DG
Asked for a friend because she heard nothing from HBS. Does HBS only email those high on WL or everyone? HBS in not in her LA. Thanks a lot.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

SWLMum wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Yes, the waiting list email from HBS arrived this morning. DG
Asked for a friend because she heard nothing from HBS. Does HBS only email those high on WL or everyone? HBS in not in her LA. Thanks a lot.
Heard from a friend who DID RECEIVE a waiting list email yesterday that it was sent out up to position 60.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://www.hbschool.org.uk/userfiles/h ... 1.docx.pdf

I can't see anything on here to suggest that the waiting list is restricted to the top 60 requesting a place and being allocated a lower preference school.

The document also says that the waiting list is held by the LA, so perhaps email the relevant team at Barnet for information?

London Borough of Barnet maintains waiting lists for all year groups on behalf of the school, as part of their coordinated scheme. Parents should note that children's names are ranked on the waiting list in accordance with the criteria set out in this policy, and not by reference to the date that the child's name was included on this list.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

ToadMum wrote:https://www.hbschool.org.uk/userfiles/h ... 1.docx.pdf

I can't see anything on here to suggest that the waiting list is restricted to the top 60 requesting a place and being allocated a lower preference school.
I'm sure the waiting list isn't officially restricted.

Pre pandemic, and pre 3 mile priority area, HBS divided the top 300 into Groups A, B and C after the 2nd round. Those in Group C were advised that their chances of receiving an offer were slim. I assume this new communication policy is trying to reflect the previous groupings, and those below WL position 60 will eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later) receive an email from the school.

However, this is the HBS admissions department we're talking about. Historically they haven't covered themselves with glory when it came to basic admin!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

thisisnuts wrote:
ToadMum wrote:https://www.hbschool.org.uk/userfiles/h ... 1.docx.pdf

I'm sure the waiting list isn't officially restricted.

Pre pandemic, and pre 3 mile priority area, HBS divided the top 300 into Groups A, B and C after the 2nd round. Those in Group C were advised that their chances of receiving an offer were slim. I assume this new communication policy is trying to reflect the previous groupings, and those below WL position 60 will eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later) receive an email from the school.

However, this is the HBS admissions department we're talking about. Historically they haven't covered themselves with glory when it came to basic admin!!
Understatement of the year in some admission rounds of recent memory :roll:.

And why the school is getting in on the act when they actually state on their own website that their waiting list is maintained by the LA, I have no idea.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tan3

Post by tan3 »

Personally for me, hardly surprising act by a school that managed to kill off a healthy competitive selection process by lack of transparency on testing, scoring, ranking and communication :-(

Anyway, congrats for those who secured an offer and good luck to those waiting...
rjayasri

Post by rjayasri »

We got an email that DD is on WL 13. Can see from previous years there is movement of the WL and we still stand a chance. Any idea how long this would take? Can someone shed some light please
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There will be a big movement in the next couple of weeks as all those who have decided to choose NLCS, St Pauls, HABS, St Albans, City, Highgate etc will be turning down their places.

After that it will be the odd one or two here and there, so the main movement will be over. A DC I know of was on WL 28 two years ago and was offered a place second week in September when she had already started at NLCS. She turned it down, it was then offered to WL29 who accepted it and that was the last movement.

At WL 13 you have a good chance of being offered a place in the next few weeks. Hope it comes through for you. It will be very interesting to know how many of the places were allocated to those in the catchment area this year. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tan3 wrote:Personally for me, hardly surprising act by a school that managed to kill off a healthy competitive selection process8 by lack of transparency on testing, scoring, ranking and communication :-(

Anyway, congrats for those who secured an offer and good luck to those waiting...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... icants.pdf

Ah yes, poor HBS. Forced to kill off a healthy competitive selection process in order to fulfil the demands of Section 3.1, a requirement for being considered for expansion funding, then getting turned down anyway.
rjayasri

Post by rjayasri »

Daogroupie wrote:There will be a big movement in the next couple of weeks as all those who have decided to choose NLCS, St Pauls, HABS, St Albans, City, Highgate etc will be turning down their places.

After that it will be the odd one or two here and there, so the main movement will be over. A DC I know of was on WL 28 two years ago and was offered a place second week in September when she had already started at NLCS. She turned it down, it was then offered to WL29 who accepted it and that was the last movement.

At WL 13 you have a good chance of being offered a place in the next few weeks. Hope it comes through for you. It will be very interesting to know how many of the places were allocated to those in the catchment area this year. DG
Thank you