HBS allocations thread 01 March 2022

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jazbaati99

Re: HBS allocations thread 01 March 2022

Post by jazbaati99 »

Daogroupie wrote:There will be a big movement in the next couple of weeks as all those who have decided to choose NLCS, St Pauls, HABS, St Albans, City, Highgate etc will be turning down their places.

After that it will be the odd one or two here and there, so the main movement will be over. A DC I know of was on WL 28 two years ago and was offered a place second week in September when she had already started at NLCS. She turned it down, it was then offered to WL29 who accepted it and that was the last movement.

At WL 13 you have a good chance of being offered a place in the next few weeks. Hope it comes through for you. It will be very interesting to know how many of the places were allocated to those in the catchment area this year. DG
It looks like 32 children got a place from within 3 miles of the school (source https://www.barnet.gov.uk/sites/default ... 2022_0.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

ToadMum wrote:Ah yes, poor HBS. Forced to kill off a healthy competitive selection process in order to fulfil the demands of Section 3.1, a requirement for being considered for expansion funding, then getting turned down anyway.
Because they actually clung on to the competitive selection process - only did away with some of the communication!

The funding went to a school that promised ALL expansion places to Pupil Premium DCs.
As jazbaati99's link shows, HBS still only has 6 PP places this year - as they're only given priority if they make it through round 1.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am surprised catchment places have only gone up by 2 from 30 to 32.

This is the third year, I would have thought they would have been well over half by now. DG
isamax20

Post by isamax20 »

It’s not easy to get into the first 300 when you are competing against over 2,500 girls from all over London and further away. No wonder the percentage offered to the girls within 3 miles is less than 50%.
We have been offered a place a couple of years ago. We live outside the catchment area. We have only prepared one year in advance, as many things are not covered by the national curriculum and we were not given the smallest chance by at the time my daughter’s teacher.
Pre-pandemic we have visited the school and both girls showing us around have mentioned that they we’re preparing for the exam since year 2, which I find overwhelming.
SWLMum

Post by SWLMum »

I haven't heard from LA or HBS regarding WL, though we are lucky to get offer from another school we like. Out of interest, I decided to email HBS about WL position. The reply I received was: "Your daughter is not on our waiting list as I assume you did not place HBS as your first choice on the CAF form." I don't understand this at all. We did put HBS as our first choice as we were happy to move home. That reply from the admission office sounds very odd to me. Anyone experienced this before?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

SWLMum wrote:I haven't heard from LA or HBS regarding WL, though we are lucky to get offer from another school we like. Out of interest, I decided to email HBS about WL position. The reply I received was: "Your daughter is not on our waiting list as I assume you did not place HBS as your first choice on the CAF form." I don't understand this at all. We did put HBS as our first choice as we were happy to move home. That reply from the admission office sounds very odd to me. Anyone experienced this before?
that doesn't sound right - you should be allowed to be on the WL for any school higher than the one you were allocated - suggest you phone to get an answer re this
SWLMum

Post by SWLMum »

Unfortunately they don't answer the phone. Left the message asking for a call back.
SWLMum

Post by SWLMum »

Managed to talk to the admission officer who confirmed DD's place on WL 38. Phew, no error at least.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

SWLMum wrote:Managed to talk to the admission officer who confirmed DD's place on WL 38. Phew, no error at least.

Good! glad you got to speak to someone and they recognise that she is on the list
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Another stellar example of HBS admissions efficiency :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now