why is Latymer failing and QE powering ahead

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ritz667

why is Latymer failing and QE powering ahead

Post by ritz667 »

Latymer's latest ofstead report is good while that of QE is outstanding.

I have two boys, one graduated from QE the other in Latymer about to enter final year A Levels.

The diffrence is like driving a FI car to a skoda

If we had our time again Qe would be the preferred choice.

The management and teaching styles at Latymer are awful.

Any thoughts ?
jazbaati99

Re: why is Latymer failing and QE powering ahead

Post by jazbaati99 »

I guess that this thread will generate some spirited debate :) My sons are in QE so I do not have any experience of Latymer. Do you contribute monthly in Latymer like you do in QE. That may be the difference between the two schools. Extra funds for school translate into better facilities and more motivated teachers. On the same note, since 2018 when our DS1 started, we have seen a very high churn of teachers in QE. We always thought that this is because they are sought after by indies and private schools so they use QE as a launch pad.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

I’m sure money and management style are contributing factors but ultimately it is also a matter of ´horses for courses’.

I have no experience of either QE or Latymer but only of another Ofsted Outstanding grammar that was ultimately a poor fit for my DD. She had some very good teachers and made good friends, and we could see that the school worked tirelessly to keep improving. Nevertheless, we felt we had to take her out because she was so limited by their rigid focus on the exam specification, on the average student, and inability to support her SEN. We could see that this would suit other DC well, just not ours.

I’m sorry your DS2 has not been enjoying 6th form and hope his final year is better. Even if the journey has not been all it could be soon he will have new opportunities.

Good luck,
PS
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Teachers move schools because they choose to apply for jobs at different schools. It is a risk to move as it will be an unknown environment compared to the one they know, so teachers do not tend to move unless they believe it will be worth it. Do you think they are all being offered much more generous packages elsewhere or are there other reasons? DG
nyr

Post by nyr »

My nephew left Latymer three years ago with good grades and he eventually secured an Oxbridge place. He is very self-driven and knew from about Y8 that he was aiming for Oxbridge and took the time out to achieve it, but the teaching at Latymer helped facilitate the academic outcome. It's true that, in terms of depth and breadth, his experience of secondary was very different from DS at QE.

I've just seen that the A level results at Latymer improved leaps and bounds during the two pandemic years, with the award of the top grade going up 50% in 2020 and more than doubling in 2021 in comparison with the 2019 results. At this stage we can't be sure of how this was achieved but if the trajectory, or a even a newly established higher level, is maintained then perhaps there's been a positive shift in the teaching style.

I'm a fan but even I'll admit that QE probably has a well developed understanding of the Ofsted inspection process and, no doubt, that can make a difference in the outcome.

With regards to staff turnover at QE, we saw some capable, young and ambitious teachers leave for a range of fast tracked new posts, such as more seniors positions in the state and independent sectors or public policy. It is definitely a springboard. It's sad that some of the excellent teachers weren't around for his 7 years window at the school but DS always felt he learnt a lot from them, however brief his time with them. In any case, it's normal for boys to have different teachers for the same subject and they adapt to the change. Of course there will be teachers who move seeking lifestyle changes, such as to the Cotswold. I do know that one very popular teacher had to leave following inappropriate conduct, but my understanding is that this was thankfully very unusual.
Last edited by nyr on Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 »

I would echo what Nyr said above. I have not seen or heard anything that will make me beleive that the teachers are leaving for anything other than better opportunities. In my opinion, QE is a very good launch pad in a teacher's career. My personal opinion ofOfsted is that it reflects the opinion of a few inspectors of a school in a few days however I do believe that parents were very active in filling out the parent feedback form and a large number of forms (I would assume most were positive) were submitted during the ofsted inspection. Personally I believe that the ofsted report does reflect the standards of education that I observed in QE. From 2018 when DS1 started QE to now I have seen things moving and improving in the right direction. I do believe that the extra funding raised through parent donations is a huge factor in this along with an ambitious senior leadership team that have some clear plans in taking the school forward.