Real level of difficulty for QE exam

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NS123

Real level of difficulty for QE exam

Post by NS123 »

We are taking tuitions for my ds.. we also did an online mock in which difficulty level of questions was quite high especially he struggled with long comprehensions.my question to all you experienced members is if you can please tell me the difficulty level of the questions in the actual exam( based on feedback from previous years exam-takers). Or is it that the questions in the real exam are of low-medium difficulty but speed is key factor as qe is asking around 56 questions for maths in 50 mins and seems like they have increased number of questions in english also. Many thanks for your replies, i want to avoid unnecessary stress to my child ( and also dont want to keep spending so much on taking mock exams)

—————
Just to make it clearer.. my ds is ok in questions with a medium level of difficulty but struggles with tough questions ..so if the real exam doesn’t have very tough questions then i can concentrate on building up his speed instead of doing lot of mock tests
jazbaati99

Re: Real level of difficulty for QE exam

Post by jazbaati99 »

Speed and accuracy seems to be really important for the QE test. Normally the questions are a good mix of abilities. However simple looking questions are not so simple so it is worthwhile to take a moment to read and understand the question fully before answering.

For test practice, 56 questions in 50 minutes will not work.

For Maths, please work on 65 questions in 45 minutes

For English, it is similar, 65 questions in 45 minutes with 2 comprehension passages.

You will do it well IMO if you concentrate on speed and accuracy with medium level of questions.

Best of luck
bridge

Post by bridge »

jazbaati99 wrote:
You will do it well IMO if you concentrate on speed and accuracy with medium level of questions.

Best of luck
Most definitely true.

My children told me that the actual exam was way easier than any of the practice material they did (Tiffin Schools). My son did the online Sutton Mocks during lock down so I got him to print screen every question. Some of the questions just didn't make sense others were outside of the KS2 syllabus. So I wouldn't pay mocks too much mind - other than the experience if not online.

Finally, after doing enough practice material you will get a sense of the general capabilities of a Y6 child. A tiny minority will excel but everyone else will be in the mix. They just can't make the exam that hard - all that happens is the pass mark/score etc is lower.
NS123

Post by NS123 »

@Daogroupie any pointers or suggestions please
NS123

Post by NS123 »

I will share about how my DS found the paper once reserve date is over
wanderkind

Post by wanderkind »

Some mod just deleted my post about this on another thread this without any reason.

Another year and QE Maths has crept up to ** questions, and English **. What is really the point of this? Are the questions getting easier, or the level of the candidates getting higher? However, if they truly want to separate the brightest pupils, they should provide more challenging problem solving questions, not more of the same one-step questions?

Speed is something that comes with a lot of practice/coaching. It doesn't reflect true ability of a pupil to approach and engage deeply with a new problem.

How did everyone DS find it? My child didn't finish the Maths paper, 5 questions left (hence the rant :oops: ). However he finished English in ample of time. His accuracy is generally good, however not sure if that's good enough.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The forum rules do ask you not to discuss tests in detail so do be careful about what you reveal or discuss. The same test can be used for late applicants.
wanderkind

Post by wanderkind »

PettswoodFiona wrote:The forum rules do ask you not to discuss tests in detail so do be careful about what you reveal or discuss. The same test can be used for late applicants.

Yes, I realised that, thank you. I was really surprised to know that they use the same test for different days. You would think QE would be able to afford it. That could easily lead to serious fraud.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

wanderkind wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:The forum rules do ask you not to discuss tests in detail so do be careful about what you reveal or discuss. The same test can be used for late applicants.

Yes, I realised that, thank you. I was really surprised to know that they use the same test for different days. You would think QE would be able to afford it. That could easily lead to serious fraud.
As I understand it, it is not about being able to ‘afford it’ but it is almost impossible to compare results of different tests with each other. Especially when the second lot of students may be a small handful. It is about keeping the process as fair as possible and comparable. Fraud is preventable as pupils generally do not remember most of what they’ve done, and forums like this aim to be responsible.
jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 »

@Wanderkid, I would kindly ask you to delete your post. Even little hints like 'crept up' can give an unfair advantage of boys sitting the test on later days. Best advise is to maintain radio silence.