Best prepatory schools in North London

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wsc

Best prepatory schools in North London

Post by wsc »

Looking for what people consider best prep schools in North London, so as to help me shortlist. Ideally with entry at 4+ or close.

No real requirements, I guess just to teach DS how to enjoy studying.

Apologies if in the wrong sub forum.
hermanmunster

Re: Best prepatory schools in North London

Post by hermanmunster »

tricky!- one person's "best" is another person;s "ugh" - what sort of measures would you be looking at ?

some will be aiming at specific schools for the next stage and may be measured on that, others may be better at nurturing across the board.

not in London but remember friends fanatically worried about getting 4 year olds into selective pre-preps whereas I preferred mine to go to all ability with smaller classes and jolly atmosphere
wsc

Post by wsc »

Still undecided tbh! But important is to see where the kids get into for secondary. Will probably be applying for grammars and indies at secondary.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Given that you are looking at 4+ entry it would be helpful if you gave us a steer about location - London is huge with journey times of up to 3 hours - I suggest you narrow it down a little bit. Also, are you looking for co-ed or single ***? Pre-prep, prep or one for both? You have a DS, have you ruled out 13* entry? I'm afraid I probably can't answer your question but if you are more specific I'm sure others will be able to.
mad?
wsc

Post by wsc »

I’m basing where I move to in North London on school, ideally short distance to the school (walking or 10min drive). At the moment living in Central but time for the burbs life I think. I’m looking for school that does 4-11, then will do 11+ afterwards and see where we end up.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

it really is personal opinion - have you visited any yet? you'll know which the right ones are when you do.

Comments re schools I saw:

1) ugh no - far too pushy, X&Y parents were at the open day and they drive me crazy

2) school too big

3) school too geared to its own senior dept

4) headmaster appalling social climber

5) headteacher away with the fairies

6) headteacher confused as to which child I was wanting to bring to school (attention to detail!)

7) just right
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

I would second Hermanmunster’s comments re finding the right school - go look at a few. I would add to the list of concerns: classes too small (friendship issues magnified), no grounds, or limited outdoors (kids won’t be able to run around, get fresh air, get space)

My view on single sex vs coed is that if you’re considering single-sex at senior school then go coed at junior for more balanced social skills.

The other thing I will note is that with DD’s first school, the principal changed between our visiting the school and applying for a place and her actually starting. It was different in many ways as a result. But we got her into the school when there was a dip in applications I think. Subsequently, we realised that we would normally need to have registered her at birth to get a place on the waitlist. So you may have to consider your options in light of how early you needed to have registered.

Good luck,
PS
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now