Waiting lists

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thisgirlcan

Waiting lists

Post by Thisgirlcan »

Is it just me thinking it or are this years waiting lists moving incredibly slowly?

I know of several children who are quite high up on the waiting lists for St M’s, QE, DAO and Latymer who were quite hopeful of a place back in March who are now losing all hope of a spot. For those in the know, who have been through this before, how likely is it that they’ll be a waiting list surge between now and September?
hermanmunster

Re: Waiting lists

Post by hermanmunster »

For a waiting list to move you are really relying on either a family opting for and indie place or moving to another area.
Of course when one waiting list moves it can free up a place somewhere else and their waiting list will move also.

So the key times for places appearing are in March when people have got the results, they may also be holding a place at an Indie - if they want to accept the Indie place they will have to now pay out a deposit - often makes people decide.

Some however hold on a bit as they are undecided and prepared to lose the deposit, this tends to be decided by a few more at Easter as any later and they could be obliged to pay a term's fees if they reject the place at the indie after this.

Some still hang on to places ....

The induction days at the state schools often lead to a few pupils not appearing and when chased it appears that they are going elsewhere and similarly when the term starts in September a few don't turn up

Probably most places are available in March with rather fewer places coming up at the later stages of Easter / induction days / start of term
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am hopeful that the odd places here and there will turn up. Unfortunately some parents hold onto both indy and grammar even after the start of term. Both the last DAO and QE places last year were offered when term had already started.
DG
Thisgirlcan

Post by Thisgirlcan »

Thanks herman and DG, appreciate your insight.

According to another thread QE’s uniform appointments tend to weed out those who are on the fence. I’ve heard that St M’s have got a transition day next week so hopefully that will help to do the same there. Does anyone know if DAO, Latymer and HBS have any similar events coming up?
_Estrella_

Post by _Estrella_ »

Wondering when the last flurry of spaces will become available? It seems St M’s have moved 1 place during the holidays. Has anyone heard of any recent movement at DAO, HBS, Latymer or QE. I’m sure the other threads would have been updated if there had been but just double checking anyway.

Good luck to those still waiting.