HBS exam notification

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: HBS exam notification

Post by Daogroupie »

They are all still coming through and have been for 20 hours now. There are almost three thousand to come so I would wait until Monday am before contacting the school. The exam is not for another month.
DG
herewecome2022

Post by herewecome2022 »

Thanks DG, it just came. 8am slot for a child travelling from Berkshire and who doesn’t sat early due to nausea.
We might not bother after all to set up our child to fail.
jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 »

Not sure if it helps but there are over the counter chewable tablets for children that really help with motion sickness and nausea. I use one for my son for travel sickness.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Why not book a hotel just outside of London in an area where it is an easier journey in? I am sure parents on here can recommend somewhere. They would not have taken where students lived into consideration. Obviously you had a plan to move if she did well and you will have done the preparation so it seems a shame to miss it just because she happened to be given an early slot. Two years ago the days started at 730am because of Covid.
DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

herewecome2022 wrote:Thanks DG, it just came. 8am slot for a child travelling from Berkshire and who doesn’t sat early due to nausea.
Is it the travelling that causes the nausea, or the getting up early? Or was the 'sat' typo 'eat'? For any of those, as DG suggested, staying over the night before somewhere within easy travelling distance (Golders Green seems to have hotels) would make sense, but if the last, could she not just wait until you get there to eat something?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
herewecome2022

Post by herewecome2022 »

ToadMum wrote:
herewecome2022 wrote:Thanks DG, it just came. 8am slot for a child travelling from Berkshire and who doesn’t sat early due to nausea.
Is it the travelling that causes the nausea, or the getting up early? Or was the 'sat' typo 'eat'? For any of those, as DG suggested, staying over the night before somewhere within easy travelling distance (Golders Green seems to have hotels) would make sense, but if the last, could she not just wait until you get there to eat something?

You’re right, its both nausea at early eating and also driving. We are booking a hotel but will see if a GP certificate might help.
herewecome2022

Post by herewecome2022 »

Daogroupie wrote:Why not book a hotel just outside of London in an area where it is an easier journey in? I am sure parents on here can recommend somewhere. They would not have taken where students lived into consideration. Obviously you had a plan to move if she did well and you will have done the preparation so it seems a shame to miss it just because she happened to be given an early slot. Two years ago the days started at 730am because of Covid.
DG
DG You’re right. I shouldn’t let my disappointment shadow DD’s effort and chances. She has problems eating early, will see if a GP certificate will get the school to offer another slot. If not, book a Hotel or Airbnb closer. An hour exam is not as tough as three hours one locally. Which coincidentally also starts at 8. I’m despairing at our luck. I guess my defeatist attitude will impact her so need to stop thinking about it. Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think booking the hotel is definitely the best idea

TBH I am not sure that they will amend the time of the session as they asked for requests for special arrangements to be made at the time of applying:

"If your daughter has special educational or medical needs which may require special arrangements to be made for
her to sit the Entrance Test, you must inform the School so that appropriate arrangements can be made before the
Test sitting. There is a section of the Entrance Test Entry Form where this information, along with supporting
evidence, is requested. It may not be possible to consider reports and documentation received after the Entrance
Test Entry Form deadline due to administrative constraints. It is for the School to decide what adjustments are
appropriate having taken account of all the information provided
."
herewecome2022

Post by herewecome2022 »

hermanmunster wrote:I think booking the hotel is definitely the best idea

TBH I am not sure that they will amend the time of the session as they asked for requests for special arrangements to be made at the time of applying:

"If your daughter has special educational or medical needs which may require special arrangements to be made for
her to sit the Entrance Test, you must inform the School so that appropriate arrangements can be made before the
Test sitting. There is a section of the Entrance Test Entry Form where this information, along with supporting
evidence, is requested. It may not be possible to consider reports and documentation received after the Entrance
Test Entry Form deadline due to administrative constraints. It is for the School to decide what adjustments are
appropriate having taken account of all the information provided
."

I did read that bit and really never occurred to me that a) exam start at 8 since primary schools start much later. b) we never treated her eating later or slower or other issues as something that would hinder exam writing. But now the prospect of taking an exam on empty stomach looks problematic.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What do you think everyone else does? You arrive early and have something to eat in a little cafe beforehand. That is what we did with both dds. Of course it was going to start as early as possible because they want to put as many slots as they can in one day so they do not have to go onto another day and disrupt the learning of the existing pupils. Two years ago the slots started at 730am because of Covid. 11 plus exams are sat in secondary schools, not primary schools. It is quite normal to have things at 8am. Both my dds did music lessons before school so were in at 8am, other departments hold rehearsal for events and booster classes before school. Do you plan to move if she secures a place as 8am is not considered early at secondary school level? DG