Harrow elevenplus mock difficulty level for QE

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NS123

Harrow elevenplus mock difficulty level for QE

Post by NS123 »

We did harrow elevenplus mock and found the level quite challenging. Is it tougher or the same level as actual QE exam?
My DS is getting scores around 70-80% in english and 85-90% in maths, are these enough for super selective schools? Can experienced parents pls help, its such an anxious and stressful time
jazbaati99

Re: Harrow elevenplus mock difficulty level for QE

Post by jazbaati99 »

Hello

In my personal opinion, harrow mocks are more difficult than the actual exam. These scores are quite good compared to the actual QE exam. QE exam (again IMO) is more about speed and accuracy. You need to focus on 65 questions in 45 minutes for both english and maths.

Kind regards
NS123

Post by NS123 »

Thankyou so much
Itdc

Post by Itdc »

Sorry for hijack the thread but I have a related question,

How does the ranking percentile in the harrow elevenplus mock compared to the actual QE test? I understand it is a different cohort but the Harrow mock actually has a large sample size i wonder if we can draw some relations.
Thx
Last edited by Itdc on Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What is the size of the sample?

This is very key as it needs to reflect the QE cohort as much as possible to be realistic. DG
jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 »

I would personally ignore the Harrow percentile completely due to a smaller sample size. My suggestion is to focus on speed and accuracy.
Itdc

Post by Itdc »

Daogroupie wrote:What is the size of the sample?

This is very key as it needs to reflect the QE cohort as much as possible to be realistic. DG
Let's say the cohort size is in hundreds so should be able draw some inference statistically. This cohort will most likely attend the actual exam. Compared to the actual cohort, the sample is biased towards tutored or self tutored students, also probably a certain portion is from the same Harrow tutor school. Hence a naive/convenient assumption is the mock percentile ranking might be lower than the actual one?
Sj9neill01

Post by Sj9neill01 »

We have just done the Harrow exams as well, my DD got 80% in Maths (our preferred school is Parmiters) and I was surprised that with this score she was in the bottom 10 percentile of the cohort. After a deep breath (and a large glass of wine), I am chalking this up as a great learning experience and a recognition that children were travelling 2 hours to take the test (one child mentioned this to my DD) and so obviously very committed children and parents and potentially not accurately representing those sitting the SW consortium exam (at least that's my hope). We went through the questions with DD and half of them were silly mistakes, so everything is just dependent on how they perform on the day (perhaps time for another large glass of wine).
NS123

Post by NS123 »

My DS also gave harrow mock today. Even with 80 percent plus , he is not even close to being in the top 50 candidates( out of a total of 158 who sat today).
I am shuddering at the thought of what his rank will be , when there are 1000s of candidates.
:? :?
Anyone here who can actually tell ( by Experience) about the difficulty level and whether i should keep hope for him getting through any super-selective now?
Thanks
bridge

Post by bridge »

What this tells you is that 1 or 2 questions wrong can have a dramatic affect on the ranking. The aim is to eliminate all silly mistakes.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now