scarletta - bucks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scarletta

scarletta - bucks appeal

Post by scarletta »

My daughter scored 108 and 109 in her bucks papers. My sister was injured in a road accident two days before paper one and subsequently died a few days later. the funeral was the day after paper two. Do you think we have a good cause to appeal. it has all been very traumatic. My daughter elisabeth, is a good student and should get level 5 in maths and english. any hlep you can suggest.

yours

scarletta
(we live in buckinghamshire)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Scarletta

You have been through the most dreadful time - I am very sad to hear about it.

Obviously the scores are very low at 108 and 109, but I have known appeals succeed at that level where there are clear mitigating circumstances and a strong academic record.

I think you have some of the strongest mitigating circumstances I can remember hearing. Your daughter will have been deeply affected by the loss of her aunt, and will have been affected by the sadness and worry in your home throughout that time.

If you feel that you can put together a strong case on academic grounds I would go for it. Did she have good scores in her practice papers, or in any previous school VR tests? If you can clearly demonstrate that her performance dipped for the two 11+ papers, then it should be crystal clear to an appeal panel why that happened.

Speak to the Head to see how strongly they will support you. If you have their strong support, plus the other evidence I have mentioned then I would hope that you have a very good chance, despite the low scores on the actual tests.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Scarletta

You've obviously been through a dreadful time, and my heart goes out to you, but I would be less than honest if I didn't say that you will need a very, very strong academic case to win an appeal.

You mention a predicted level 5 for English and Maths. Does this mean Science will be only a 4?

Whilst agreeing with just about everything Sally-Anne has so helpfully written, I very much doubt whether any appeal panel would accept the results of practice papers as evidence. They have not been officially marked and standardised, and as Patricia has mentioned elsewhere, the same practice papers have been used for years and years, and taken home, so no one can ever be sure who has had sight of them in advance.

If you haven't already done so, have a look at section B24 on the following page:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

One thing missing from my list, that could be used as evidence, would be good school reports, especially if they indicate very high achievement. (Unfortunately some school reports these days hardly mention achievement, as if it's politically incorrect to do so!

Best wishes
Etienne