Appeal and House Move

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JS

Appeal and House Move

Post by JS »

Hi Etienne,

My son took his Bucks 11+ as out of county candidate from Surrey, on Nov 4th and 11. We had already planned for the move on 1st of Dec, to make sure that we are in the county’s catchments area before 15th Dec. Unfortunately, his results turned out to be 115 & 119.

He has been doing very well in the tests he took at home, always over 90%. And my son couldn't believe that he got only this much. Unfortunately, he was born on 2nd September, which added to his disadvantage. He is in the Top group on all the subjects, and has been the School Chess Champion from year 4. He was in Level 5 in maths and in English at the end of Year 5.

We are planning to appeal with the support from the Head teacher, but don't know whether the Head teacher would support, as we believe the school doesn't support Grammar school system.

We have been reading your forum for the last two days and seemed very supportive. But still we couldn't decide whether we should go ahead with the house move believing the appeal would go through or don't know whether to cancel this move.

If he doesn't get through in the appeal, is there any chance to enter in to grammar schools at the age of 12 or 13?

Awaiting your reply
Jay
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hello Jay

It is difficult to know whether to advise you to move house! The chance of a successful appeal at 11+ is around 40%, less for a lower score. It will all depend on the usual criteria - demonstrable academic achievement, any mitigating circumstances, strength of support from the school, etc.

If the Head will not support you because of "political reasons" then state that - it should not count against you. However, it will mean that the rest of your case should be as watertight as possible. If your son had good scores in the official practice papers then that could be very helpful.

There is a 12+, and also 13+ exam in Bucks. Until a couple of years ago a number of places were reserved at grammar schools for children taking the "Late Transfer" tests, as they are known. However that was discontinued, and now the children who pass are only given a place if a vacancy is available at their chosen school. Any vacant places are allocated on the standard Bucks criteria, of which the first is distance from school gates. If your preference is for a very heavily over-subscribed school there is almost no chance of gaining a place unless you are living very close to the school.

The right to sit the 12+/13+ is not automatic - you must have the support of the Head, and the child should have achieved at least 2xLevel 5 SATs. (Note that this requirement is not published, but is generally known to be the base criterion used by Bucks.)

The full process can be found on the Bucks CC website:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =177570625

As you will see, at 12+ there is a reasonable chance - around 70% - of the child getting into one of their preferred schools (not necessarily their first choice school). At 13+ the chances are below 40%.

The one word of caution I would give is that, if your appeal doesn't succeed and he doesn't pass the 12+, the alternative Upper Schools are not always great. You need to look very carefully at what the fallback option would be.

I hope that helps you in some way.

Sally-Anne
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

I agree with Sally-Anne's comments. However I would have thought your headteacher would support your appeal - why wouldn't he/she do that? It doesn't matter if he/she thinks the grammar school system isn't any good - surely you are asking for support as a parent of a child at his/her school, regardless of the Head's beliefs? And doesn't it look good on a school's record if children have succeeded into getting into a good grammar school? Plus 'playground' chat - how true is it?? I would see the Head for yourself, hearsay doesn't count for much in my opinion as to what a Head does or doesn't think!!

Good luck, get that appointment and go in determined yet smiling!!

JuliaB
JS

Post by JS »

Thanks Very Much for the replies. Initially when we requested whether the school can administer his test, they disagreed saying that this was new to school and has never happened in the past. Hence we did the nfer practice tests at home ourselves. I may not be able to provide these scores as a proof because I myself administered them.

But I hope, they should be willing to provide class test scores and previous year results. I know that, they have never done any VR papers at school but are doing mental maths every week. We are ready to face the Head tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted

Thanks
Jay
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Jay

I've not much to add.

I'm afraid there are heads who decline to co-operate for political reasons, and even some LEAs (not in Surrey, as far as I know) that have ordered their headteachers not to participate in any 11+ procedures.

However, I agree with you that the head should be willing to provide information such as KS2 predictions, test results, etc., even if he refuses to make a recommendation. Try and get him to be as specific as possible (e.g. level 5a rather than level 5). You yourself can provide copies of school reports (useful if there is evidence therein of very high achievement).

It sounds as if you have some good points to make, but there is always an element of unpredictability about appeals (just as there is with the 11+!).

It might be worth checking how your school's KS2 results compare with the Bucks average. To be in the top sets obviously carries much more weight when it's a high performing school. (Please ask if you don't know where to find the information.)

Good luck
Etienne
JS

Post by JS »

Thanks Very Much Etinne. I have sent you a PM with more details. We are looking at the dfes and BBC websites for comparison. We will be really grateful, if you can advice on other websites.

Many thanks
Jay
Jay
JS

Post by JS »

Hi,
Just now met the Head teacher and Head is more than happy to support our son.

It will be great if you could let me know ,'To whom' the Head Teacher should Address his letter to.

Will that be Buck's Admission Team, Appeals panel or anybody else???

I have spoken to the Admission Team, and they are saying that the details will come through by the post.

Appreciate your help in this regard ASAP.

Many thanks
Jay
Jay
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Jay

That is excellent news - and a great relief I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure that the procedure for out-of-county is the same as for Bucks appeals, in that the Head will receive a form to complete. It doesn't give him much space, so he has to be very pithy and forceful in what he writes. "Very highly recommended", rather than "recommend". "Very high academic potential", rather than just "good". You may want to catch the Head and ask him to be as fulsome as they feel is possible.

Wait and see what appears in the post and let us know any queries on the forum. (And if the post doesn't appear promptly, ring Bucks and chase them!)

Sally-Anne
JS

Post by JS »

Many Thanks Sally for providing a Moral support for us through the forum, especially when we don't have any relatives or friends around to support.

Both myself and my Husband are planning to see his class teacher today evening to get his view as well.

I'll keep you posted with the outcomes.
Jay
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Jay

Excellent advice above.

Any papers to do with appeals can be sent to the "Appeals Team" or "Clerk to the Appeals", room 115 at Old County Hall.

I've just sent you a PM.

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now