Herschel appeal heard today 26/02/09

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
trio

Herschel appeal heard today 26/02/09

Post by trio »

Hi all dont hold your breath we just had our appeal hearing for the above school today there were 2 couples infront of us and both were in and out in 10 mins. We took alittle longer but not that much behind the others.
They were quite formal seemed as if they wanted you in and out asap.only a couple of questions were asked about the case. Also the person presenting the case for the school said that there are 76 children who achieved the pass mark that will not get or be offered a place because he school is so over subscribed. What chance do kids who got just below have .Remember these kids who passed but will not be offered a place don't know this yet.
all the best
orion

Post by orion »

Good Luck Trio.

So many children passed and have no place. I wonder what mark will be required to be allocated a place, perhaps they will accept more children this year ?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Good luck trio, you never know...

Did the panel give you enough time to present your case, or did you feel rushed? 10 minutes does not seem like long enough!

Thanks

LFH
trio

Post by trio »

We felt very rushed as if we were an incovenience to them well never mind well see lets have a little bit of hope.
thanks all
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good luck, trio.

Do please consider filing a report for us - there's a real need for more information about appeals in Slough and elsewhere.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=9205
Etienne
Sindy

Post by Sindy »

Hi all

Just got back from my appeal for Herschel. I thought you guys might be interested in feedback.

Have to disagree with you Trio. The panel were very nice, formal but they did make me feel comfortable. There were 3 on the panel, the clerk and the headmaster. I was in there about 30 mins and was told to take as long as I needed.

I was also told about the 76 children on the waiting list.

However I did walk away with the feeling that I had said all I needed to say and whatever the outcome I know I gave it my all.

Happy to answer any questions
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hi Sindy,
I would love to hear how you got on - we have an appeal for St Bernard's but its not until April, seems like a lifetime away.

Can you tell us how long you were in for and what sort of questions you were asked?

You might consider filling in Etienne's report thread above, it would be really useful for others waiting, although I understand that you might not feel up to it.

I would like to wish you good luck, and fingers crossed that you are succesful

Thanks

LFH
Sindy

Post by Sindy »

Hi LFH

I was in there for about 30 minutes but could have taken longer if needed.
I then was told to wait outside for about 10 mins whilst they looked through my daughters books.

Not many questions asked as they felt I had covered everything.

Will fill in thread when I get a chance.

Sindy
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thankyou for sharing this Trio and Sindy.

It all helps!! :D
aussiemum

Herschel Grammar Appeal

Post by aussiemum »

We had our HGS appeal this week.
We found the panel very friendly and were not rushed through.
We were told that at least 60 children had achieved the pass mark of
between 111 - 115 and would not be allocated a space due to over
subscription.
It was pointed out to us that if our appeal was successful that we would
jump over these children who had actually passed the test on the day.
They only asked a couple of questions and did ask if were we happy we had had the opportunity to fully present our case.
My personal opinion is that unless you have the most extraordinary circumstances on why your child did not achieve on the day you have no
chance of the appeal been upheld.
Why would they take a child who didnt pass on the day when they cant take over 60 who did.!!
AM