Maths requirements in KS4

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dyslexichelpneeded

Maths requirements in KS4

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Can anyone answer this:

Maths is a compulsory subject at KS4.

If a student passes maths GCSE in Year 10, are they required to continue with mathematical studies through Year 11?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - Maths is statutory at KS4 - if pupils do GCSE Maths early then they can do Stats GCSE or AS modules - some schools do FSMQs.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Think DS will be doing a "free standing" qualification - is that the FSMQ you refer to?
What is it ?
do you know any more ?
.... all I got was the name!! Thanks for any info
dyslexichelpneeded

Here's the definitive answer from QCA - You don't have to continue in Year 11:

'Thank you for contacting us on 26th February, regarding mathematics in key stage 4.

'The statutory requirement is that the programme of study for maths at key stage 4 is completely covered. If this done during the course of the GCSE in year 10, then it would be acceptable for these candidates not to need to study maths in year 11.

'The programme of study for maths can be found on the National Curriculum website:

http://curriculum.qca.org.uk

'I hope this information is useful. If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. The contact number for the Enquiry Line is 020 7509 5556.'

Yours sincerely,
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That may be the QCA line but most schools will INSIST as it will be policy - it's silly to stop because someone able enough to do it early will probably carry on in the sixth form and a 'break' is not a good idea.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Why would a child who is able enough to sit maths in Year 10 want to drop it in Year 11 when they could possibly get an AS? :?
dyslexichelpneeded

The only thing I can tell you about the FMSQ is that an A is worth 20 UCAS points.

With regard to why you would drop maths after year 10:

This question has arisen because my DC's school is introducing an 'accelerated' curriculum. Students will be able to complete maths and one language to GCSE in Year 10 (though they can delay to Year 11 if more appropriate), and then choose to stop or continue with the subject. Continuing will allow them options to start 6th form studies, including AS or EPQ - Extended Project Qualification. Stopping will allow them to do 'something else', whether another GCSE, or beginning 6th form studies in another subject, or other activities unspecified.

Why might you pack in maths after Year 10, even if you are good at it? I guess if you are an able all-rounder whose interests lie in other directions, you might take the opportunity to develop those interests. It's quite possible to be good at something and yet dislike it. Though I have personal concerns about 'stopping' maths a year early.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Ah, I understand now. :) I do think though to do one more year and get an AS would be hugely beneficial and its not as if they are doing extra year of maths. I admit I am maths biased however!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I also contacted QCA and the Mathe person says you MUST do Maths in Year 11 as it's statutory -
dyslexichelpneeded

Curiouser and curiouser! I've PM'd you the name of the woman from QCA who emailed me. Perhaps you could get your contact to talk to her, and they could come up with a single party line.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now