When will my boys meet girls?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

When will my boys meet girls?

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If DS's continue at single sex boarding schools until 18 and as we have no female relations or friends with girls, when and how will my boys have the opportunity to meet girls? This is beginning to stress me out and I'd appreciate some advise although not all suggestions may be possible due to the fact they board. :?
mad?

Post by mad? »

When they sneak out at night and weekends in search of local girls to share hooch with, or worse, when they go to discos at the nearest girls boarding school...
mad?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

:lol: :lol: I was biting my lip!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'd appreciate some serious advice. They won't know any local friends let alone girls if they have been boarding and disco's at girls school doesn't give them much conversational or other experience.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I'd appreciate some serious advice. They won't know any local friends let alone girls if they have been boarding and disco's at girls school doesn't give them much conversational or other experience.
I'm afraid that in this situation you will have to accept that they will not get to know girls in the same way that boys at day or co-ed boarding schools can easily do. This is the downside of the few hugely successful boys' public schools which can safely stay single sex because they will never be undersubscribed. You have to decide whether the environment this provides for them outweighs the fact that they will almost certainly grow up regarding girls as a different species. Perhaps you should factor this into your final decision about what school to choose, as it will definitely colour their relationships with girls and women for many years to come, and maybe for ever. I have had boys at single sex and mixed schools, and the difference is very apparent to me, even though they have a sister.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

:oops: Sorry Tipsy! You do encounter the opposite sex on very limited occasions. However, unless they are painfully shy it really shouldn't be a huge problem. You are fretting too much. :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks KES. I am very pro single-sex so to go fully coed would take a huge leap of faith. The more I see of Westminster the more it seems the right balance with level-headed, ambitious and mature girls in the sixth form and mixed boarding houses. Although from Year 9-11 DS wouldn't be in a class with girls he would see them in the common room and around school which is better than nothing. Westminsters boarding is poor by comparison to the other schools I'm looking at though.

Can you elaborate on just how different boys are - both good and bad - who went to single-sex schools?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Don't apologise mitasol as I am grumpy tonight as I am lacking alcohol and sugar! :oops:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Tipsy I'm sorry too - and also lacking in alcohol. But I agree with KES, depending on which way you look at it (and as you say you have always been very clear on the gender aspect) this is one of the benefits/drawbacks of single sex boarding. If they want to meet girls they will find a way whereever they are.
mad?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Stop apologising as its making me feel guilty for being snappy! :lol: