Waiting lists - when do they start moving?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sue123

Waiting lists - when do they start moving?

Post by Sue123 »

Hi - this is a re-post from the Hertfordshire section, where I inadvertendly put it the first time around.

Can anybody tell me when waiting lists (especially for the North London Consortium) typically start moving? Before the acceptance deadline (which is noon, 6th March, for the Consortium) or after the deadline has passed?
We have two Consortium offers and are on the waiting list for our first choice.

Also, how long do you normally have to accept a definite offer resulting from a waiting list place?

Many thanks and good luck to all!
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I am hoping that all parents holding multiple offers will get their thanks but no thanks letters in the post as soon as possible, so that the parents of all little girls on waiting lists can be contacted before the closing date.

There can not be anything more annoying than for parents to be advised by their wait listed school after the 6 March that a place has become available, because of course by then parents will have forked out a substantial non returnable deposit.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Parents have posted on the forum of receiving multiple offers so expect a lot of horse-trading. It would help everybody if offers were promptly rejected but understandably some parents will hang onto back up offers, hoping for a more desired offer from a waiting list creating a logjam.

Possible scope for some sort of central clearing system.

steve
mad?

Post by mad? »

Many of the consortium schools are on the 'phone pretty quickly to see whether/when you are going to accept - so that they can manage their waiting lists more efficiently. However, last year I think the list really started moving after (this) weekend. The best thing to do is get it moving yourself - by rejecting one of your offers... also, whilst clearly a letter is appropriate, I would suggest that for the sake of those on the waiting lists, a 'phone call be made as well - that way progress can be made in a matter of hours/days rather than weeks.
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now