No clock in the test

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Norman

No clock in the test

Post by Norman »

Hello Etiene
My daughter got 116/118 and we've decided to appeal. We expect to have strong supporting letters from the head at her school and from her two music teachers (not at the school).
We'd also like to raise the topic of there not being a suitable clock in classrooom. There was a clock at the back of the room but the students had been told not to turn around because that might be regarded as cheating. The finish time was not written on the board but they were told the time half way through the test and with 5mins remaining. My daughter had asked to take in a stop watch but had been refused permission. This made her very nervous and, in our view, put her at a disadvantage compared to students with watches or those at other schools with clocks.
Are there guidelines about clocks in the test? Do you think this point is worth emphasizing?
We'll be grateful for your comments.
Thanks
Norman

Post by Guest »

I would be also interested to know.My child asked if she could take a stop watch in and the head looked at her as if she was mad.She didn't have a watch and the clock wasn't easy for her to see.

She passed her first test but messed up on the second due to running out of time.

In all exams I have taken you have been able to see the clock clearly.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Norman

My recollection is that clock and watch arrangements are a matter for the school. If Patricia is reading this, perhaps she could confirm?

If so, no rules have been broken and I wouldn't over-emphasise the point, but it's worth a brief mention if you're looking to explain a gap of just a couple of marks.

Regards
Etienne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Etienne, Norman and Guest

There is no set rule on watches/clocks. The interim times given during the test are also down to the individual school.

I always advise my students to use a, non bleeping, watch [as per my advice in the tips section]

Unfortunately, I do not think this matter will carry much weight, as Etienne states,perhaps in passing.

Norman, I am sure if you bring up the question of your child being disadvantaged because she wasn't allowed a stop watch, they are bound to ask why didn't you send her in with a watch instead.

Patricia
Norman

No clock in the test

Post by Norman »

Thanks Patricia & Etienne
We'll tone down the reference to the clock in our appeal, but, since the results are clearly time critical, I do think that the same guidelines should be given to all the school.
I know it does not sound very convincing but it never occured to us that she may not have sight of a clock during the test. All GCSE and A-level exams, about which I know a lot more, require the schools to make this provision. She'd stopped wearing a watch to school quite a while back after having a few valuables stolen.
I'll write in separately about some distractions that took place during the test and to ask your advice on how much emphasis to put on them as a possible mitigating factor.
Thanks again for the advice
Norman

Post by Guest »

In my area you are not allowed to bring a watch!Every pupil will be checked to make sure they don't sneak one in.

Post by Guest »

In my area you are not allowed to bring a watch!Every pupil will be checked to make sure they don't sneak one in.