admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confused parent

admissions

Post by confused parent »

can anyone advise me what are the chances of me getting a place at Burnham Grammer with a score of 121 and putting it second place
Jed

Post by Jed »

Isn't Burnham outside Bucks? Does the Bucks score have any effect on whether a place is offered? I thought there was a separate Berks exam (or is my geography all wrong?!).

Inside Bucks, schools are no longer able to choose on the basis of either a) 11+ score (a pass is a pass) or b) placement in the list. Only catchment, distance and siblings are taken into consideration.

So your child would have as much chance with his 121 of getting a place in his chosen school as one with 141.

Not sure about outside Bucks though. Perhaps you should post in Berks?

Jed

Post by Guest »

Burnham is a Bucks Grammar, so Jeds comments apply.
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

I guess it would depend on how many children who passed and put Burnham Grammar as their first choice. If there are less than 120 (I guess that is the 2007 year 7 intake) then I would have thought that offers then went to those who had placed it as their second choice and so on.

There are families such as ourselves who are in catchment for BG, who also sit the Slough tests. I put a Slough grammar school as first choice, if my son does not pass the Slough test then our second choice automatically becomes our first choice (though we failed our Bucks test, so that rules us out!!!!)

So, I'm not sure if I've answered your question, I think the answer is - I don't think there is any way of knowing until all the results are in and the allocations offered - but I'm happy to be corrected!!

JuliaB
(feeling a bit desolate today....)
Jed

Post by Jed »

Ah, if Burnham grammar IS a Bucks school, then you have the same chance of getting in as everyone else NO MATTER where you placed it on the list OR what your 11+ score is (as long as its 121+).

So if someone with 141 placed Burnham first choice and another with 121 placed it second, a place would go first to the one with the greater entitlement (usually in catchment siblings/in catchment/out of catchment siblings/out of catchment distance - in that order).

If you are offered your first choice, you won't, of course, also be offered a place at Burnham. If you are not offered your first choice, this won't affect in any way your chances of being offered Burnham.

Jed
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Yes it is a Bucks school.

JuliaB
Road Runner

Burnham Grammar

Post by Road Runner »

Dear Confused

If you put another Bucks Grammar school ahead of of BG and that school is in your catchment then you will get that school offered. If you put a Slough school ahead then you should still get an offer from BG aslong as you are in the BG catchment.

Do you mind me asking what you did put on your form

MelX

Post by Guest »

Dear Mel i put Langley Grammer but my son says he did not do well in that test so am holding out of Burnham Grammer.

Post by Guest »

Hello,
I feel if you put Langley as first choice and if your child does not get through in Langley then there is no question of admission in any school in Berks county.
If you have put BG as next preference to schools from berkshire automatically this becomes the first choice in Bucks county.My feeling is he will get admission in BG.
The question is if BG gets more than 120 children then the question of marks/catchment/siblings comes into play.
If your child gets through Berks test then the child becomes eligible to get admission in both Berks and Bucks.Since the first choice is Berks naturally you should get there. The LEA you belong to will discuss with both the counties and decide, here iam assuming you belong to third county.....ha ha :)
Cheers
`
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi guest,

As Jed says, the 11+ score isn't taken into account for Bucks grammars, as long as it is a pass of course.
If your child doen't pass the Slough test, he will be automatically considered for Burnham. If you live in the catchment, your child will get a place. Last year BG took all catchment + some out of catchment in the first round of allocations.

Hope this helps

Catherine
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now