Beaconsfield boys not getting RGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Y

Beaconsfield boys not getting RGS

Post by Y »

I've just heard of two Beaconsfield boys who have not received their first choice request of RGS. A friend has contacted admissions, and has been told that due to high numbers applying (suggested due to new developments in the area) they have made the cut-off at 5.48 miles. Looking at distances from RGS, it looks like most of Beaconsfield is excluded.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Hi,

There appears to be a big problem with over subscription to the boys Grammar schools. We did not get our catchment, DCGS or our second or third choices (JH and RGS) so at the moment we have been given our fourth choice GS which is Chesham High. We only have one catchment Grammar so not too happpy at present.

Oh well there's always the waiting list.........
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

This has been very surprising, but you are both right - there is far more pressure on places for boys in the south of the county than I think anyone was expecting.

RGS, DCGS and JHG have all come out with reduced distances this year. (I have posted the link to the Allocation Profile on my Sticky on Bucks, and will try to get the full profiles page updated later today.)

By comparison, BHS has gone to "All Offered" for girls for the first time in at least 3 years - probably far longer.

In the northern half of the County all the schools have offered to wider distances. The Aylesbury schools are all offering far further than last year, and even RLS has gone up from 8.218 to 9.829. In the longer term the expectation is that there will be more pressure in the north because of the number of new houses being built, but it obviously hasn't kicked in yet.

Although the proposals to change the catchment areas around DCGS, JHG and RGS are designed to ease this pressure from 2010, I have a feeling that the demand for places this year may have turned out to be slightly greater than even Admissions expected when they began the consultation process.

Sally-Anne
Y

Post by Y »

Is there a link to the mapping BCC use? I've googled Buckinghamshire geographical information system, but can't find anything helpful.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Try transportdirect.info. Uncheck the public transport option and make sure the 'shortest route' is selected in the advanced options.

This will make more sense when you reach the site !
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dad40 is quite correct - that site uses the same Ordnance Survey software that Bucks own system uses.

Sally-Anne
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

One other thing: when typing in your target school name, make sure you select 'facility/attraction' as opposed to the default 'address/post code'.....
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Ahem! The default is actually Station/Airport! :D

Have you ever found a distance where choosing the "facility/attraction" makes any difference to the mileage Dad40? I have just tried a couple of fairly obscure searches and it hasn't changed anything ...

(My turn to be Picky! :lol: )
beacmum

Post by beacmum »

We are in this position, my boy wanted RGS and got his second preference. He is understandably upset, and I wish I could make it better for him!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi beacmum

Welcome to the Forum, and I am sorry to hear the news. There will be some movement in the allocations over the next few weeks and months, so don't despair yet.

The allocation distance did change very substantially last year, and RGS hasn't run out of places for catchment boys for the last 3 years.

Have you worked out how far beyond the initial allocation distance of 5.486 miles you are?

The site Dad40 recommended will allow you to do that.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now