Head Teachers Recommendations

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tillytonk

Head Teachers Recommendations

Post by tillytonk »

I have been reading articles on this forum and have seen notes regarding HT Recommendations with scores being 1:! etc. I have asked our HT and she knows nothing about these! Do they not apply in Lincolnshire? We are going to appeal and the HT is writing a letter of support and my daughters yr6 teacher is coming with me, so without doubt we do have their backing.Also could someone advise on a point I would like to raise at our appeal. My older daughter now in yr8 passed her 11+ but we decided against the GS as we felt she was not academically suitable, would not cope under pressure and generally it was not the best school for her. We took advice from HT and teachers etc and the choice we made was the correct one. She is very happy and flying high where she is. Would this perhaps illustrate that we know this child is suitable for GS just as we knew the older one was not? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear tillytonk

I would usually advise against comparing siblings at an appeal. In this instance, it's an interesting point and certainly won't do any harm, but it's not going to be a decisive factor. Panels are going to use other criteria than the parents' belief that their child is suitable for GS.

As far as I know, Bucks is the only authority to rate candidates in advance of the 11+ as part of the official process. (Q&As, E9)

You're lucky to have the year 6 teacher accompanying you. Some authorities positively discourage this!

Good luck
Etienne
capers123

Re: Head Teachers Recommendations

Post by capers123 »

tillytonk wrote:I have been reading articles on this forum and have seen notes regarding HT Recommendations with scores being 1:! etc.
You'll have seen a lot of mentions of this as at this time of year there are a lot of messages about Bucks appeals - they run them before allocation day. There will now be a rise in appeals for other areas now allocation day has passed, and as Etienne says, most counties don't use that system.
my daughters yr6 teacher is coming with me, so without doubt we do have their backing.
Very unusual - you're lucky.
My older daughter now in yr8 passed her 11+ but we decided against the GS ..... Would this perhaps illustrate that we know this child is suitable for GS just as we knew the older one was not?
It would suggest that you're not obsessed by Grammar schools and want what is most suitable for each child.

I did hear similar evidence at appeal one, although it was a side point rather than the basis of the appeal. I was impressed by those particular parents, but it was the other circumstances that swung it for them.

Good luck.
Capers