Allocation distances between March and September 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sek1000

Allocation distances between March and September 2008

Post by sek1000 »

Hi,

Why such a marked difference between the initial allocation distances (Mar) & final allocation distances (Sep). In many cases this is is approx. 2 miles
Is this usually the case? Presumably it means those who have missed out marginally on distance, stand a fighting chance before September admission?

Thanks - great forum!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi sek, and welcome! :D

Simply, there is a lot of "shakedown" that goes on.

Some children may accept places at private schools instead of grammar, some may no longer need a Bucks school place because they are moving, some may have changed their minds about taking a GS place. (Yes, that does happen - if a child's pass is marginal, the parents may decide to opt for "top in an Upper", rather than "bottom in a GS".)

Also, people change their minds about which their preferred school is - 6 months between the form going in and the allocations is a long time, and children can change a lot at this age.

Very occasionally there are also mix-ups with other counties on allocations, resulting in a child being offered a place at two schools.

You also have to bear in mind that, with Bucks being quite rural, a difference of 2 miles could actually only represent 1 child in some areas.

Sally-Anne
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Hi Everyone
I've been reading this forum for months and it has really kept me going.... You guys are great. Now I'm in need of direct support... Does anyone know when the OOC start being allocated? We got our third choice school in Herts and had a Bucks GS as first choice. Assume we advise our local authority on continued interest? .. very anxious.. :?
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Hi Ricky

If you post a little more information like which Bucks GS school was your first choice and how far away you are from the school gates and was a Bucks GS your second choice, then someone very knowledgeable will no doubt come by soon and tell you all you need to know!

The second round of allocations are around 9 April but depending on the school you want, that still might not involve OoC as at that stage, they still could be offering to catchment.

Regards and good luck

Ambridge x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You could also consider Chesham High or the Floyd if you are close to a county boundary as there are places at both.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Our first choice was Dr Challoner's Girls. We are about 4.5miles from the school, just on the other side of the border in Herts. We were thinking about Chesham High, but worried about the distance and if this would have implications on friendships.
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Ricky

We are in exactly the same boat but looking at the Sticky at the top of this Forum, this year is the first that Challoner's haven't been able to give all their in-area girls a place, they only gone to 7 miles and the catchment must be a lot bigger than that - so I think it very unlikely that us "out of catchment" will be offered anything at all. Two years ago, we'd have been in on allocation day....

it's either a bumper birth year or it's the economic situation - either way it's working against us.

Have you registered your continuing interest yet?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Ricky and newgirl

I am afraid that the solution for both of you is the same - tick the box for CHS, and go on the waiting list of DCHS. You will then have to sit it out I'm afraid.

There are 3 further rounds of allocations, starting on 9th April, and then roughly 5 weeks and 10 weeks after that.

This has been a most peculiar year for allocations and none of us can really be sure what is going to happen over the next few months.

CHS has just had an OFSTED inspection, by the way - the report is on the school's website - and it showed the school to be either Good or Outstanding in every area. The new Head certainly appears to be hauling it up by it's bootstraps!

Sally-Anne

Post by 40 »

Hi Ricky,

We are in the same situation as you, You cant apply for a bucks school continuing interest list online as only herts schools are listed. I spoke to herts cc who told me to contact bucks, who told me to contact herts!! Bucks were very helpful, and asked me to send an email and they would try and help even though they were sure I should really be going through Herts.

Give them a ring, they really couldnt be more helpful.

Good luck, really hope it all works out in the end
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Hi newgirl

Looks like we picked the wrong year... I guess the stress levels are not going to be coming down for some time - if at all!

S.A. - thanks for the info. An unusual year - I'm keeping everything crossed. I'm starting to feel grateful I got one school from my list of three - I've heard of so many not getting anything.

Ricky
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now