Dulwich College, St Dunstan's, Alleyns

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
eloise

Dulwich College, St Dunstan's, Alleyns

Post by eloise »

Hello, we may have to choose between Dulwich College, St Dunstan's and Alleyn's for our son. The schools are very different and choosing will be difficult, I'd appreciate feedback if anyone has experience of any of the 3 schools. Thank you. :D
Uncle Jo

Post by Uncle Jo »

My son went to St Dunstan's college for his GCSE. He loved it there unfortunately I can't afford the fees anymore. I wanted a mixed school for my son because I went to boys only school which affected my social interaction with girls. It depends on what you want for your child. I found St Dunstan's very relaxed, friendly and not too much homework for my son. He never suffered any bullying at all. The school has no generous bursary like Dulwich College. This means you may have to take a lot factors into consideration.
Baba Lolo
shalom

South East London independent schools

Post by shalom »

I had a friend whose son attended Dulwich College from a state primary school and he loved it there and his mum thought it was a good school - a very understanding headmaster there too apparently (G Able). He left there last summer to go onto university to study something to do with space engineering.
Knew someone whose daughter went to St Dunstans some years ago and she said she really had a great time there - hear the school lunches are something else!!
Dont't know much about Alleyns except that when I see the children there does not seem to much in the way of a healthy mix of them given it is in South London- but that's just my observation. May the best school for your son win!
eloise

Post by eloise »

Thank you Jonathan and Shalom for your helpful replies. We have eliminated Alleyns because we did not get the same 'warm feeling' on the open days that we got at St Dunstan's and Dulwich College. Shalom, we too feel that it is not diverse enough, and it has an arrogant air about it. Their results are good but that's not everything! We have less than 2 days to decide between our other two choices and have heard good things about both schools. :?
mad?

Post by mad? »

They are both good schools and if you feel you can't choose between them how about factoring the journey? This could have a massive impact on yourDC so is worth considering.
mad?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I don't know these schools personally, but for what it's worth the academic results of Dulwich College are much better, as is that school's success at entry to good universities.
Loopy
isamum

Post by isamum »

My friend's son is at Dulwich College and they did miracle for him.

He works hard and loves his school - never complains about homework in fact was discovered to be gifted in Maths and school supports it with him going to extra lectures etc. At 11+ he wasn't able to pass any exams to selective schools - he wasn't interested in doing any extra work.

He is enjoying drama and thinks of himslef as a future actor :-)
If you knew him 4 years ago you wouldn't expect that he can be made interested in any of those.
eloise

Post by eloise »

Many thanks Mad?, Loopy and isamum, you have certainly given us food for thought. We are looking forward to finally deciding on a school - we feel we are in limbo at the moment! Dulwich College is closest to our home but co-ed may be better (or then again not :? )!
Lilli

Post by Lilli »

I have a child at St Dunstan's and I think it a really lovely school - what's more, my son loves going to school every day and is incredibly enthusiastic about the place. Academic results are bound to be better at Dulwich because St Dunstan's takes a broader range of children.
2boydad

Post by 2boydad »

So what did you decide Eloise ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now