Reading age

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kendogirl

Reading age

Post by Kendogirl »

Hi me again, I have thought of another query. One of the things we need to write down for the appeal is reading age. Does anyone know roughly what they are looking for? Many thanks, Kendogirl.
Louise
Milla

Post by Milla »

the school should have the child's reading age. At our school it's something they don't volunteer. I found, by accident, that my boy, at the end of year 2 had a reading age of nearly 12 but despite this being the time I was going in about various "issues" it wasn't something they told me which, actually, would have been a very helpful thing to do since I could have nursed my bruised ego and been fobbed off with a bit of praise! (issues were bullying-related when we were in need of a boost ) but what this is reiterating that reading ages seem to be something they monitor at school and so surely it will be up to them to supply the answer? From my friends' examples, schools have been helpful during the appeals procedures, providing back up of VRQ scores, for instance, various stuff "proving" the child's on-going, "acceptable" scores over several years, rather than relying purely on the arbitrary vicissitudes of the day of the test.
what I should have said first of all, is it ain't over til the porky lady sings. make sure you've explored every avenue, for your own peace of mind if nothing else. It's a painful business, being in charge of our offspring's future, but sometimes the disappointing decisions lead to something better. Of course, I don't know your circs, so I'm sorry if somehow I've put my foot in it. But what is amazing is how, even at this seemingly late stage in the whole system, just how much fluidity and flexibility remains, now nothing is set in stone.
Good luck, it's all horrible!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kendogirl

Thanks

Post by Kendogirl »

Hi thanks to both of you, will move further questions to the Appeals section as it is all really appeal related. He only missed the threshold by 2 points so we are going to appeal and I have been told we are in with a chance of success. Have also heard from the school that so far 86 offers have been made, some of which may not be taken up so there will be still places to fill. Many thanks again, this site is a God send!!! Kendogirl
Louise
Kendogirl

Thanks

Post by Kendogirl »

Hi thanks to both of you, will move further questions to the Appeals section as it is all really appeal related. He only missed the threshold by 2 points so we are going to appeal and I have been told we are in with a chance of success. Have also heard from the school that so far 86 offers have been made, some of which may not be taken up so there will be still places to fill. Many thanks again, this site is a God send!!! Kendogirl
Louise
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now