Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
OLA

Appeal

Post by OLA »

I am about to start an appeal process. I would like to know if this affects our position on the waiting list. Also if the we are not sucessful, will this mean that the child can not be offered again even if he is next in line on the list when a place opens up.
happy
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

Hi,
If your appeal fails for oversubscription, it doesn't effect your chances on the waiting list. We failed on oversubscription last year but got an offer on waiting list. We didn't want to loose a chance of presenting our case just incase the waiting list not reaching to her passing marks. So its always good to take opportunity to present your case and if the waiting list moves you still have another chance.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's always a good idea to pursue both avenues. The appeal system is quite separate from the waiting list, and neither has any bearing on the other.
Etienne
OLA

APPEAL EVIDENCE

Post by OLA »

Thank you Etienne and greatmum. It's good to know that we have two avenues to explore.

We have been offered a buck grammar school place but we are appealing for a place in the top priority preference school. We have spoken to the primary school and the head teacher is willing to support our application. Are we able to use the letters stating that he has passed 3 other 11+ exam as evidence that he can cope with the pace of work and demand is a grammar school environment or academic ability?
happy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear OLA

The evidence you mention wouldn't really help if you were applying for a place at a different Bucks GS.

When you say "top priority preference school," is this in another authority? I think it would depend on the entry criteria and why you were refused admission.
Etienne
OLA

Post by OLA »

The higher preference school is in a different borough.
When I called admissions registrar she suggested he has not demonstrated he could benefit from Grammar school education and particularly from their school as it is fast paced.
I'm just wondering if qualifying in other grammar school could be used as evidence that he is able to cope.
He has done maths and the reasoning papers in all the other tests and passed them all.
happy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So it was non-qualification? In that case I think the answer to the question about academic evidence is "Yes".

Be warned, however, that an appeal panel may take the view that 11+ tests in different authorities have not been standardised in the same way and cannot therefore be compared.

I would try to pre-empt this by saying "Although I fully accept that it's not possible to make direct comparisons, I hope you will consider the fact that my son has passed not just one but three other 11+ tests as evidence that he can cope with the pace of work expected in a highly selective environment."
Etienne
OLA

Post by OLA »

Etienne
Thank you for the pre-empting thought on standardization. I need all the armour I can gather and yes, it is non-qualification.
happy
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now