THe 11+ and warhammer, an experience of getting through 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gingamum

THe 11+ and warhammer, an experience of getting through 11+

Post by gingamum »

My son has just got a place at our local grammar scholl and needless to say we are delighted. However I am aware that there were many children out there who didn't get in some who had gone through years of coaching at a lot of expense and others who just wanted to give their child the chance just in case.

My son is in his top set at his primary but does not function anywhere near the top of it as he doesn't push himself hard enough. We thought their was an outside chance of a place but were happy either way as have a very good comp nearby. Of the boys in his school who got through to the grammar school, none had had more than a few weeks coaching and nothing that was paid for, all attend the local scout group and all regularly play Warhammer games.

I believe that it is the depth of this game which has contributed significantly to his achievement for the folowing reasons. It is a game with a wealth of reading material which he devours. This material involves understanding an extremely wide vocabulary which is targeted at a much older market while there are many opportunities for younger players to have a go.

The game involves a tremendous amount of logical thinking and strategic planning. It also requires a good level of mathematic skill.

I wanted to share this experience as I believe that no amount of couaching could have given my son what he gets out of Warhammer while at the same time extending his vocabulery and logical thinking. Both of these skills are essential in getting through most formats of the 11+.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience with other types of fantasy gaming e.g. dungeons and dragons which my son has also just started.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Couldn't agree more. DS's boarding school, like many, are not allowed TV or PC games and instead have to play "old-fashioned games". A large number of boys play warhammer which uses all the skills mentioned above plus their imaginative and creative skills as they build model landscapes. Apparently it's harder than risk - I can't even get my head round that!
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Hi gingamom,

Think this may be something my sons would love!
Which type of this game do your son and friends play, ie is it for pc? xbox or the traditional game?
Many thanks.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Interesting point gingamum.

Would love to get some more thoughts on this from people. DS1 has recently got into Warhammers it was one of the reasons he chose the Grammar he has thankfully got a place at.

Unfortunately try as he might (puts in a request to school council :evil: hate them, everytime they meet, which gets dissmissed because only one on it, DS2, plays) he can't get the primary school he is at to allow one. He started playing with his friends at breaktime but one child stepped out of line once and it was promptly banned (of course that never happens when they step out of line when playing football).

Would love some concrete info on its benifits for DS1 to approach the head with and the :evil: school council.
happymummy

Post by happymummy »

I have not heard of warhammer but it sounds like something my 9 year old would really love. He is a good reader but not confident of his own abilities when it comes to maths and gets very stressed under pressure - exams etc. Is it a boardgame? Where can I get it? Is there a website about it?

thanks!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Warhammer is a strategic game, similar to risk, but you can paint the models (models have different abilities) so it is creative too. I haven't bought any yet but I believe you can get them online and at Games Workshop.
gingamum

Post by gingamum »

It is a good idea to look up your local Games Workshop and go along to have a look. The staff are always incredibly friendly and you can watch games being played and ask questions. The warhammer and games workshop sites have loads of additional info and if you are in the Nottingham area the main centre is based in Nottingham called Warhammer World. There is a museum here of all the minatures from present and past armies and also a very large gaming room. They often run events where kids can learn modelling and painting techniques as well as how to play the game.

In terms of trying to get schools to start up a group I think it would be difficult in primary unless there are teaching staff who play or else other children you do not know about. It is only since our scout group did a modelling badge and lots of the youngsters wanted to bring in their models to put together and paint that we have realised how many people our son's age play. There are groups that meet at evenings and weekends and most of these register and often advertise their details in the White Dwarf magazine.

The white dwarf magazine may be another way to gauge your own child's interest as it features battle reports as well as loads of details about the armies and game so is maybe the best starting point.

I don't want to sound like an advert for Warhammer and feel there maybe some out there wondering if I work for the company I can assure you I don't and merely want to put something out there which I feel has been incredibly beneficial for my family and may be could for yours too.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Gingamum,

I found a website with 40% off Warhammer but the picture looks almost like a CD cover - is that what it looks like but when you receive them its actually models. I don't want to order a CD. Given the price I'm sure it can't be. :?
toy

Post by toy »

Hi all, do this come as XBOX 360 games. I'll love a replacement for my DS games especially as this will help with the exam preparation. Also, please advice on the which ones to buy.
Thanks
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

I don't think that the playing of games should be underestimated in terms of how it helps with other areas of life.

I must admit we don't do RPG's - we're more of a scrabble/chess/rubiks cube family!! But in the past I had a couple of boyfriends who played various RPG's (D&D, HeroQuest..) and they were all clever (geeky?!!) guys.

I've got a 9 year old boy, so I'm going to look into this Warhammer business - thanks for the tip!