Will anyone else's ds be travelling to Wilmington by bus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bomper

Will anyone else's ds be travelling to Wilmington by bus?

Post by Bomper »

Ds has been accepted at Wilimington Grammar (yay!!!). He is really pleased but a bit daunted by the thought of travelling by bus every morning? Anyone else in this boat? Any advice on making it easier for him? :D
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Bomper - as you live in Bexleyheath I guess he'll get the 601? That runs from Thamesmead through Bexleyheath to Beths and Wilmington. It can get quite crowded but it's an excellent way of making friends! I bet when he arrives at the bus stop on day 1 there will be a few other anxious Y7s in Wilmington uniforms! Some schools try to put children in the same forms who are doing similar journeys - they certainly seem to do this at Beths. The 601 is only a school bus (and any member of the public gets on at their own peril!) so it's not possible to practice during the holidays. But it's certainly worth going over the route before he starts and making sure he knows what's what. Maybe you could get him to do some short bus journeys during the summer holidays if he's not used to travelling on buses. I left my eldest at the bus stop on day 1 with a group of other year 7s and they missed the first bus because they didn't realise you had to put your hand out to get the bus to stop .... :?

He's obviously a clever boy, so I'm sure he'll be fine!
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

You're right - he will be getting the 601. I have just discovered one of our neighbours boys is going to BETHS, so initially they can go together. I hope Wilmington will do as you have stated and put boys from similar areas in the same forms. It certainly makes sense. Think I might go and get him an oyster card this weekend, so he can get practicing!! :lol:
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

My DS will also being going by bus to Wilmington. I have just looked it up on http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk and for him it says take a 132 from Eltham, to Bexley library, then a B12 to Oakfield lane in Wilmington and it's supposedly a 13 minute walk from there to the school.

Who runs the 601 as maybe that is a better option if he can pick that up near Beths and if it goes nearer to the school?
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Ah just found it. He can get the 132 to Bexley Library and then get the 601 to Parsons Lane - much better as it drops them off much nearer to the school.

The timetable says that there are 3 buses at 8:09, 10 and 11 and that it takes 13 mins from Bexley Library.

Mine has an Oyster card already as he gets the bus to his Primary school when he's with his mum. He walks when he's at mine.

Travelling on the bus isn't a problem. Getting him to realise he needs to go to bed earlier as he'll be getting up earlier is a different story !!!
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

Bigrob - you are so right!!! We live a 2 minute walk from his primary school and he has even been known to play his Wii before going to school. Oooohhh he's in for a rude awakening!!! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now