Transport to Slough/Langley/Herschel from Bracknell

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
missteresa

Transport to Slough/Langley/Herschel from Bracknell

Post by missteresa »

Hi :)

I am considering putting my ds forward for the exams this coming november for september 2010 entrance.
Does anyone know if there is any transport available for any of the grammar schools in the Slough area? Or indeed anyone who also lives in or around Bracknell that is looking to carshare/taxi share/anything!!

I look forward to picking your brains over this coming year!
mumm

Post by mumm »

Hi Missteresa
We looked into transprt to Slough last year and we found
Courtney Coaches (do an internet search for further info)
run 2 services to St Bernard's that drop off at Slough Grammar
on the way. We didnt manage to find any transport for the
other 2 grammars so didnt apply to them as I couldnt have
driven every day as I work. The cost was approx £900 a
year split into 3 termly payments. The routes are on their
website but they seem to pick up from most areas and the
bus is a small white approx 30 seater. Sorry I cant help with
the other 2 schools....good luck anyway.
Mumm :lol:
missteresa

Post by missteresa »

thankyou!

i've been looking around, and have found out that fargo coaches do a run, too.
their main drop off is st bernards, but they do drop very close to slough grammar. this year they have one student going to langley, and they say that he has a 10/15 minute walk from his drop off point.

so, not hopeless..

although they leave at 7 in the morning!
mumm

Post by mumm »

I know I would certainly not allow my 11 year old to walk through Slough (and the main roads) on their own...and in the dark in wintertime. Maybe you could ask the school if they can help? The only child I know that goes there is driven so there may not be a service available.
Think long and hard before you choose a school that could potentially be a pain to get to for 7 years!!!
Have you considered the Reading grammars? There are alot of boys and girls who travel on the train to Reading and there will always be someone they can sit with.The railcard is approx £70 per 6 week term.
Mumm :D
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Probably not much help but...
I know of a coach service that is run between Binfield and Reading Grammar.
Still takes approx 50min for my friends son on the coach to get to and from Reading school, and he too leaves at 7am. Upside is that he gets to do most of his homework on the coach. :D
missteresa

Post by missteresa »

the drop off point for slough grammar is ok, but not langley. unless there are others going, too.

i have thought about reading, but i'm not over keen on it simply because it's single sex. i'm not against them in principle, but i don't think it's right for ds.

i'm afraid even after thinking long and hard, any grammar school is a pain to get to. and the alternatives - catchment schools - are just *not* alternatives.
is it just this area in particular that the choices are so horribly limited/hard to travel to?

*edit - i did not write single gender. i wrote single s e x. and am stunned that it has been altered!!