JuliaB's appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JuliaB

JuliaB's appeal

Post by JuliaB »

My son got a very low score 102 and 109. His schoolwork is very good, predicted level 5/6 in maths and 4/5 English. Not sure the other tested subject - science? I don't know the predicted level for that but will find out. He has had major problems with bullying since he started at this school (Sept 05) that were only uncovered this summer. School aware of situation and have been very supportive, although we have also had incidents this term. I have read all the appeals advice and the BCC Headteachers information. I will go and see headteacher to find out about where he was placed in the 'predictions' and also his 'ranking' (not sure if I am using the correct terminology there.)

I do have hospital letters (when we didn't know he was being bullied, just thought he was unwell) and can get a psycotherapist letter I think (who helped him recover.) He has had problems with self-esteem since - I can get confirmation of this from class teacher.

He is scheduled for a minor operation in a couple of weeks that we put off because of 11+ testing. He had a similar op two years ago and he has been worrying about that as it hurt last time!!

I know that only 8.9% of successful appellants got through on a score of 109 or less last year, but I do believe it is worth a shot.

Does all of this add up to sounding like a good case, or am I clutching at straws. Despite being very disappointed with the result, I can take all comments on the chin and would appreciate your honest thoughts!

Thanks for listening!

JuliaB
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear JuliaB

So sorry to hear your disappointing news.

It will not be easy to explain the gap between 102+109 and 121.

The main problem I foresee is that a panel would probably expect "major bullying" to have affected your son's schoolwork - but you say his schoolwork is "very good" (the 5/6 for maths sounds excellent).

Were his KS1 SATs , which pre-dated the bullying, uniformly above average?

I would be less than honest with you if I did not say that there is a mountain to climb.

If you can prove that his work suffered specifically at times when he was being bullied, but that he achieved excellent results the rest of the time, you could be half way up that mountain.................

Best wishes
Etienne
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Thanks Etienne I appreciate your honest advice. I will look back over his school work and see if I can pinpoint events and see if I can link anything. His last report from his previous school was glowing - I will look up his KS1 scores.

Thanks again, it has given me food for thought.

JuliaB
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear JuliaB

Do come back if you think I might be of any further help.

Good luck
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Etienne, do you think an Ed Psych report would provide any useful insight?

Thanks

JuliaB

Post by Guest »

sorry, that was me posting, must have signed out without realising.

JuliaB
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear JuliaB

A long shot, but it might. It's probably only a small minority of EdPsych reports that make a difference to the outcome of an appeal.

If you've around £400 to burn, you've nothing to lose. You don't have to submit the report if it doesn't say anything helpful.

I've known instances in the past where parents have found that such a report didn't assist their appeal but was worth getting for what they discovered about their child!

Best wishes
Etienne
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Thanks again for honest advice, I will consider before taking it further.

JuliaB
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now