How to travel to Nonsuch?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cautiousdad

How to travel to Nonsuch?

Post by cautiousdad »

Hello, I am new to this excellent forum, having being recommended by another parent. I have found some useful information but am now having second thoughts - if my DD should travel to Cheam (Nonsuch) from Teddington/ Twick borders. She was lucky to get a place from outside the catchment. She didn't get her first choice. She is very keen but early a school start time of 8:30 means leaving home before 7 to get the connections. Does anyone know if groups of children travel together in proivate minibuses? Thanks
twickenhammum

Post by twickenhammum »

Well done to your DD to getinto Nonsuch. We are from Twickenham and it looks like Cheam is harder to get to than Sutton. Have you thought about moving closer. I would also like to find out about busues that go from this area but i dont think there are enough numbers for that. Good luck.
catcool

Post by catcool »

my daughter is at Nonsuch although we live in New malden . From kingston you can get the 213 bus that goes to cheam village then a short walk. But the bus goes a long route. Could get a train to New Malden station and pick up 213 bus outside the station and then a shortest journey.. There is also an x26 that goes from heathrow to croydon via cheam. It is fast and only stops at a few stops on the way.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I think route X26 Heathrow to Croydon touches Teddington and Cheam. It will take 5 to 10 mins to walk from Cheam high street to the school.

There is a local route 808 that covers the Ewell area and the school. This I think is not going to be of any use to you.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

And my granddaughter lives 100 metrres from Nonsuch... yet another parent from way away!
richmond

Post by richmond »

Well done Cautiousdad and your dd.

I have been looking at the journey as well, seeing if its doable from Hampton. The X26 looks like your best bed. It leaves braod street Teddington at 7.19 and gets to Cheam Broadway at 8.02 so much quicker than the other bus route from Kingston. I am sure your dd will find other girls from the area that she can pair up with, and no doubt some sort of car share could be worked out My dd will not take the exam until this September, but if she gets a place we would seriously consider it even with the long journey from Hampton if we felt it was the right school for her.

Richmond.
qpootle5

travel to nonsuch

Post by qpootle5 »

Huntlie . I am so with you on this . It really is a crazy situation and my sympathies are with you. I live within 1/2 mile of wilsons and wcgs and yet I have had to give my son a reality chack re interlopers from other boroughs. Personally I would have serious misgivings about my child travelling such long distances at such a young age especially when it gets dark at 4ish in the winter.
qpootle5
Giulio

Re: travel to nonsuch

Post by Giulio »

qpootle5 wrote:... interlopers ....
my sympathy goes to those of you that did not get the good school next door
however I am much more concerned with the 5 or 6 children in my DS class that did not get any of their 6 "choices" in London

I think interloper might be an offensive label and I think that there is a lable also to define who thinks to have special rights above other families because they live in a nicer area

it starts with e...

any guess?
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

OOooh dear, I do hope this resentment towards 'interlopers' stops with the parents and grand parents. We wouldn't want to see this in the playground :roll:

Jenny
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Oh...pick me, pick me.........elephant? ear? escapologist?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I have sympathised with Huntlie over in the 'Appeals' section regarding her grandaughter and a place at Nonsuch.
The simple fact is that her GD didn't pass the 11+ so she hasn't been offered a place. GD is described as 'very able' but there are obviously so many more able children that did pass, a fact which seems hard to accept.

cautiousdad states that his daughter didn't get her first choice either, but is trying to make her allocated place acceptable by finding info on the journey. Good luck to her.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now