Passed but failed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
White Knight

Passed but failed

Post by White Knight »

Congratulations to all who have been successful in gaining places at your chosen schools.

I am intrigued, for no other reason than nosiness, has any body any idea how many pupils scored high enough, ie passed, but have failed to get a grammar school place.
Milla

Post by Milla »

all I know, which is vaguely relevant but maybe not what you were asking, is that someone on the waiting list at 138 got a place (and wasn't the bottom since the mother called the school) but someone at 148 didn't, but the mother mafia is mooting that maybe this child will get in when the acceptances drama unfolds ...
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milla

Post by Milla »

sorry, I didn't make clear that I was referring to Pates. D'oh. Anyway, someone was saying that apparently 222 was needed for Tommy's this year. True?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

It would be really useful to have that info on Tommy's for next year. Will the school or county give it out do you think? The Crypt are very good in that they tell you what mark would have got you a place the previous year and it would help with the long wait between 11+ and allocations next year.

Thinking DS2 of here.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

The Crypt are very good in that they tell you what mark would have got you a place the previous year
Ooh-they didn't tell us that last year! This must be new-what mark did they quote for this years intake? I imagine it would have been the pass mark of 107.5 as all boys who passed and anted a place got one??

GM
capers123

Post by capers123 »

There are so many times when I wish all the Gloucestershire Grammars, both LEA & Foundation, would get together and agree a common admissions / waiting list procedure, and with Glos CC administering the appeals.

There are just too many annoying little differences between them.
Capers
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Spot on Gloucestermum that is the mark we were told. I assumed you had been given similar info last year because of your's and Burneth's posts.

I agree Capers123 that the system is a bit of a mess. I also personally feel that there should be a standard pass mark set across the county and children should be allocated their nearest Grammar school on passing (not us of course 'cause they do it as the crow flies and we don't have a boat :) ) Any leftover places would probably be filled with appeals anyway.

I assume the differing status's of the schools LEA Foundation etc, means this is improbable to forcibly impliment though.

The problem with these waiting lists is that children miss out on the initial excitement and have the stress of uncertainty for such a long time, the ball has already started rolling in regard of uniforms etc before the final places have been allocated.

It is a shambles in IMHO and causes far too much unneccesary uncertainty for parents and their poor children.
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

Thank you to those who have replied. I remain nosey (perhaps curious) as to how many 'passed and failed'.

Yes, there is a great deal of confusion and most stems from there being Foundation schools as well as the Schools' AT. Each having a different way of informing parents.

Tolstoy's view of one standard pass mark for all, a single countywide standardisation of marks(?), crops up frequently. The last I heard/read, via a link from epe, I think, led me to believe it was the Heads who opposed such a sytem. I may be wrong
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now