King Edwards Foundation Birmingham & Age Standardisation

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Helena

King Edwards Foundation Birmingham & Age Standardisation

Post by Helena »

Has anyone experience of appealing against Age Standardisation due to Prematurity?

My son was 14 weeks premature born Dec 97 instead of April 08. He did not leave hospital till his due date in April.

We have been offered our second choice school. I did not get his scores (despite asking) but have been told he is number 6 on the waiting list. So the lost marks would have got us into our first choice school.

I am putting medical evidence together. Advice would be very welcome.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm not aware of this, although it's an issue that has been discussed on the forum before.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... sc&start=0
Etienne
capers123

Re: King Edwards Foundation Birmingham & Age Standardisa

Post by capers123 »

Helena wrote:Has anyone experience of appealing against Age Standardisation due to Prematurity?

My son was 14 weeks premature born Dec 97 instead of April 08. He did not leave hospital till his due date in April.

We have been offered our second choice school. I did not get his scores (despite asking) but have been told he is number 6 on the waiting list. So the lost marks would have got us into our first choice school.

I am putting medical evidence together. Advice would be very welcome.
As Etienne says, it has been discussed before.

A 2 or 3 week premmy really wouldn't count for much. However, 3 or 4 months could well be taken into consideration by a panel, and could account for a couple of marks - which would take your son into the pass zone. It does depend on how standardisation works, and it's worth gently reminding the panel that this is the only chance you get for it to be taken into account.

As an aside, I think your DS has done very well, given the adversities that so many premmies have to face. He's alive, to start with, and irrespective of how the appeal goes, pretty bright! Bet he looked like a 'drowned rat' in the incubator, though :shock: (sorry to describe early premmies like that, but in our time in the SCUBU at St Michaels, Bristol, that's what we thought the very early ones looked like, compared with our 3 or 4 weeks o/d one :( )
Capers
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Helena

Just though I would mention some of the stats about KE Foundation appeals - the following is taken from the 2007 report for all KE Grammar school:-
The number of admission appeals was 164, compared to 165 in 2005, which had been nearly half the previous year’s figure. The number
pursued to a final hearing increased from 65 to 83. Four appeals were agreed.
So you can see that you don't have a great chance following that route.

I didn't quite understand you initial posting - are you saying that your son didn't get in to his 1st choice KE Grammar school but was allocated a place at another KE Grammar as his 2nd choice? or

Are you saying that he didn't get a place at any KE school at all?

Can you explain further what choices etc.

You need to get further clarification about the waiting list position; all of the KE Grammar over allocate significantly against their PAN so that slack will need to be used up before the waiting list starts.

Some years ago I know that KECHB made offers to 124 boys for only 93 places, so even those high up on the waiting list had little chance.

Regards
Helena

Post by Helena »

Hi KenR

We have been given our 2nd choice King Edward school.

My son is no 6 on the waiting list for our first choice.

He was born in Dec 97 but should have been born in April 98. he weighed 1 pound 14 ounces.

We plan to appeal on the grounds that the age standardisation should be based on his due date - he cannot be compared with a full term baby. He was born with his eyes fused , without proper skin and non viable lungs. His brain was very underdeveloped and the prognosis was for profound mental disability. We know we have been extremely lucky.

I've followed the links and contacted Bliss - the neonatal charity who have had some experience of this sort of appeal and have promised to help.

It may seem churlish to appeal but my son has ongoing health problems and needs a lot of support. He is not bad enough for statementing. If he was in a smaller school on a smaller site hopefully he would find it less challenging. Our first choice school is very close to home so we would find it easier to support him.

I will post any progress. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Helena
lottie

Post by lottie »

Hi Helena

Without getting your hopes up - if your son is 6th on the waiting list, there is a chance that he will offered a place.

You could always call the foundation office and ask: -

1) How many places has you 1st choice school over offered i.e. 93 places offered to 126 boys (boys turn places down for various reason i.e. they take private school places instead).

2) Last year how many boys from the waiting list got offered a place.

This will give an indication of what happened last year - BUT of course things CHANGE :?

Its a shame that common sense doesn't prevail and that acceptance letters have to be handed in immediately, so that anyone on the waiting list can be put out of their misery or more important NOT waste their time doing an appeal if they are offered a place.

Best of luck.
Lottie
capers123

Post by capers123 »

lottie wrote:Its a shame that common sense doesn't prevail and that acceptance letters have to be handed in immediately, so that anyone on the waiting list can be put out of their misery or more important NOT waste their time doing an appeal if they are offered a place.
There is no reason why people should not hand in their acceptance forms, irrespective of circumstances. It guarantees a place at [a school. If you accept one school, you can still be on the waiting list or appeal for another, and if a place comes up there, 3 months down the line, the accepted place becomes vacant (even though it was accepted).

There does need to be some time allowed to accept - parents could be away on holiday (without children during term time, of course) / for work for two weeks so could be tardy in accepting.
Capers
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for that link, Mike. Interesting.

I'll add it to the Q&As at some point. (We get at least one question about premature birth every year, and I've been thinking for a while that we ought to include something about it.)
Etienne
Helena

King Edwards Foundation & Age Standardisation

Post by Helena »

Just to update everyone who has been kind enough to visit this thread.

My son has been offered a place at his first choice school - from the waiting list. We are very, very,very pleased.

I'm not sure what will happen to our appeal. We put the papers in last Friday. I would still like the panel to consider the evidence that we put forward as there will be other children in my son's situation in the future.

I will post any further news.

Helena
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now