Wirral Appeals Advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gezzar

Wirral Appeals Advice

Post by gezzar »

Daughter missed out on WGSG by 6 marks which was a huge shock to both us and the school and we have been strongly advised by the headmaster to appeal.
She is working to levels 5c,5c,4a,5c at reading,writing,maths and science and is projected to leave primary school with 5.3, 5.1, 4.4 in English Maths and science.
We have mitigating circumstances in that the months leading up to 11 plus she suffered a complex open fracture to her non writing arm which caused her time off school, sleepless nights with discomfort etc.
We are submitting our written appeal this week and my concern is that on the basis that the appeal board will be looking primarily at capability how do we get that across other than projected the current/projected SATS, NFER nerbal and non verbal scores from year 5 and Key stage 1 SAT which the school have provided for us.
The headmaster informs us that it is Wirral Education Authorities policy that the school is not allowede to provide any other supporting letters results etc.
I am sure there will be many other girls appealing with similar SAT predictions and wonder if anyone has any advice or similarly has been through the wirral appeals service and come up with any ways to stand out from the crowd.
gezzar

Post by gezzar »

Soor the predicted SAT for Science was 5.4
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Gezzar - I have sent you a PM, hope you get it.
All Too Much
gezzar

Post by gezzar »

Thanks for taking the time to reply All Too Much. Never thought about the alternate take on the supporting arm - it all helps
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

No problem Geezar, if I can help in any other way, am happy to.

Best of luck.
All Too Much
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Hi Gezzar

Went through process last year, sorry you have to got to too! Did your child's case go to the IAB (independent assesment board) - it will say so on your offer letter if like last year? This will affect your appeal.
gezzar

Post by gezzar »

No the school did not refer it to IAB as they were aware that if uunsuccessful it could prejudice any further appeal - is that good news for us or bad?
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

I think that is good - I'm not an expert, just a mum who went through it last year!! My take is:
In 2008 no appeals were allowed that weren't referred to the IAB, as headteachers should refer children who they think are suitable. But no appeals were allowed that did go to the IAB due to the way the new admissions code was interpreted by Wirral LEA. My understanding is that only 1 appeal out of 30 for Calday was allowed on a technicality for example.

The ombudsman overturned this interpretation last year, appeals were reheard and several more chidren were offered places but I have seen no guidance or changes in Wirral's admissions procedures for 2009.

IMHO therefore your school need to make it really clear why they didn't refer you to the IAB, ie that they were aware it could prejudice your right to a full appeal - if they don't feel they can write a letter of support, could they say what the school policy had been in general this year in not referring children?

I'm sorry if I am worrying you unnecessarily on this point!

There is some good advice in the appeals Q & As regarding extra evidence you can submit - and you can always send later if you come across more before the appeal.

I wish you all the best of luck in your appeal!
gezzar

Post by gezzar »

Thanks for that grumpy - already spoke to the head about that very point.
The reply was the school would not be prepared to submit a letter because in their view the rules were very clear about when they could appeal I recall a figure of 2 marks being mentioned.

It is all a bit of a mine field of second guessing what is required and the implications of which information to include or exclude at this stage so the appeal is seriously considered.

I suspect more stressful weeks like the last to come.
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Hopefully that will be one less thing to worry about then! Last year's referral form did not make any mention of how far away from the pass mark the child was - as surely different circumstances can affect that, but did refer to asking for any recent NFER Verbal showing an ability of at least 117+.

Sounds like you're covering all the bases!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now