making a castle

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NotionPotion

making a castle

Post by NotionPotion »

I always dread these 'make a model' tasks.
DD has to make a model of a medieval castle-presumably from cardboard and such like.
Has anyone got any tips?-please don't mention the word paper-mache though or I may hyper-ventilate!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sarah

Post by sarah »

HA HA :lol:
My daughter is just putting the finishing touches to 'our' castle.
We used an upside down paper cup cover in green paper, cardboard for fences, foil for a moat and made little boxes for buildings in the village. The castle was made of a cut down tomato puree box and put on top of the hill(cup).

What joy!!
love sarah x
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:D

I can see the advantages of having a 20 year old and a 16 year old now.
magwich2

making a castle

Post by magwich2 »

I do not understand why people put up with this time wasting type of homework. I am afraid it is the parents who do it without complaining who make it worse for everyone else. It is frankly discourteous of the school (I'm presuming it is a grammar) to waste intelligent childrens time with this nonsense. I am certainly NOT saying that it is not fun to make models but it is the kind of thing to do at home if you want to. Homework is a necessary evil to reinforce what should have been learnt in lessons not a way to keep the family occupied for the evening!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Homework is a necessary evil to reinforce what should have been learnt in lessons
This is not the purpose of homework - if that is how it is used in your child's school then I would ask them to clarify their policy.

What is the harm in a 'fun' homework like this? You need to research different types of castle - decide the key parts that must be modelled and then select the materials. There's plenty of time for other homeworkd tasks.

I loved the volcanoes my last Y7 form produced - some could erupt on demand!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

well said Guest 55 and more likely to be remembered than a straightforward regurgitation of facts. I certainly remember some of the more creative lessons when I was in secondary school (a girl's grammar from 1968 - 74)
magwich2

making a castle

Post by magwich2 »

I disagree Guest 55 - the standard of the exams that the children will sit when they are 16 means that in fact no homework at all is necessary for the vast majority of them. In fact, DD tells me that if she had had an extended holiday from the october of year 7 until half way through year 9 her education would not have been affected in any way.
DD2 tells me that she has learnt nothing at all so far in year 7 and would like more free time from school not more homework.
Never mind - one of these days you and Iwill agree about something!!!???!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would suggest that if you DD2 has not learned anything then you really should discuss this with the school.

She must have been very gifted to be at level 8 in everything in Year 6 -
Bewildered

Re: making a castle

Post by Bewildered »

magwich2 wrote: DD2 tells me that she has learnt nothing at all so far in year 7 and would like more free time from school not more homework.
:shock:

I agree with G55, I'd be seriously worried and go in and see the school, if my child had said the same at secondary school.
Surely having separate subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Latin, German, Resistant Materials, History, Geography etc would all have something new to offer your child.