Advice on choice of schools - indie or Grammar?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shalom

Advice on choice of schools - indie or Grammar?

Post by shalom »

My very bright daughter has been offered a place at JAGS and Newstead Wood and I am So Thankful.
She has a full academic assisted place at the first mentioned school.
Has anyone had any experience of these schools or know anything about them. I know that they are both very good schools on paper but what is the spirit of them. Need to make a decision pretty soon. Appreciate your input/thoughts/observations. She is coming from a state primary school.
Many thanks
Uncle Jo

Post by Uncle Jo »

Dear Shalom,

It depends on what your child wants. The two schools are strong academically but it terms of extras like good facilities there is no comparison with JAGS. I know a girl who went from mixed Indie to do her a level at Newstead Woods and she was extremely disappointed. Classroom windows are run down, obvious no money for repairs. It is not unusual for students to study in cold classroom because the central heating is not working. The girls suddenly change their behaviour and are never themselves when boys come to Newstead Woods for some activities. Coming from a mixed Indie she found the whole atmosphere weird really.

My honest advice if you can afford it, JAGS is far better. All the best
Baba Lolo
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If I had an offer of a free place at JAGS then I'd grab it with both hands!
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Shalom

It is a no brainer. Tipsy is right, send dd to JAGS.
shalom

choice of schools

Post by shalom »

Thank you Tipsy, Ellie and Jonathan for your replies - i appreciate it.
Anyone out there for Newstead?!!
KES Parent

Re: choice of schools

Post by KES Parent »

shalom wrote:Thank you Tipsy, Ellie and Jonathan for your replies - i appreciate it.
Anyone out there for Newstead?!!
I don't know anything about Newstead, but I would be wary of taking up a fully assisted place at an independent school unless you are reasonably confident your income won't rise too much over the next 7 years. If your circumstances improve a lot you may find you are paying quite a large proportion of the increase over to the school, which is a rather dispiriting thought if you didn't start out intending to pay school fees.
shalom

choice of schools

Post by shalom »

Believe me - all is well so far as the financial side is concerned because either it will be assisted or will have more than enough to meet any future outlay. But what I am really interested in is the spirit of the schools - what are the girls like, what are the teachers like, what are the parents like? Thanks.
eloise

Post by eloise »

Shalom, I live in Dulwich and see JAGS girls every day, they seem very well behaved and presentable. A couple of my friends have girls at the school - they are confident and very bright. I hear the school is very academic and has wonderful facilities. Some of the parents are very well off and some are just hard working people who want the best education for their daughters. I have heard that some girls find the pressure too much but I'm sure that is the case in any highly academic school.
shalom

choice of schools

Post by shalom »

Dear Eloise, Thank you so much for your valuable observations.
I must admit I have always had a good feelling about the school - been to most of the open days since my dd was in year 3/4 at primary school and I always come away impressed. Yes, I think that also Newstead Wood may at times be pressurised - a lot of homework for example,( according to their OFSTED Reports ) and maybe a similar population in terms of economic standing of the families. But there is something about JAGS that just sits right with me and I do believe my dd will enjoy her time there and derive maximum benefits. Love their music, drama and their collaboration with Dulwich College and the wider community.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I've sent you a pm.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now